ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage 3 Studio Pro and other intuos4 pens/features

ArtRage 3 Studio Pro and other intuos4 pens/features

Hi. First of all thanks for making such a cool, fast digital painting program and for all the ongoing updates

I have an Intuos4 tablet and in addition to my standard grip pen, I also own the Art Pen (with barrel rotation) and the Airbrush (with the control wheel on top).

Are there any plans to add support for these to ArtRage? Rotation would be handy for so many brush types/media while supporting the Airbrush wheel to control flow would also be great for the airbrush tool.

I'd also like tilt to work with all relevant tools - so that ArtRage pencils for example worked more like Painter's "Real" pencils. I don't often use the side of a pencil for shading - art teachers hated that and stomped it out - But having the tilt angle of the pencil controlled by pen angle would allow for those subtle variations you would see when using a real pencil.

We do have some notes on expanding tool support to work with the additional properties of the other tools, and apply more of the current properties such as tilt to a wider range of tools where it makes sense given the real world equivalent. I'm not sure when we might be including those features but they are definitely on our list of things to examine!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We do have some notes on expanding tool support to work with the additional properties of the other tools, and apply more of the current properties such as tilt to a wider range of tools where it makes sense given the real world equivalent. I'm not sure when we might be including those features but they are definitely on our list of things to examine!
    That's excellent news. I'm inbetween doing anything major at the moment artwise - but have found myself using ArtRage much more that Photoshop CS5 or even Painter 11 this last week or two.

I guess that's why I'm now thinking of features that would improve it for me

Another couple of things I'd love are:
    • Some sort of blending brush for the Oils. I know that in real world media artists sometimes use things like a dry clean soft fan brush to gently blend and feather wet oils together. Logically an Oil Brush with both Loading and Thinners set to zero should do this - but doing that (with pressure set at various levels) doesn't seem to do this in a suitably subtle manner.
    • Perhaps an option, similar to Auto Clean that controls whether the brush is automatically charged with new paint after each stroke - I love the blending that's possible towards the end of a normal stroke - but there's no way of continuing this when a new stroke is made. The brush is instantly charged with paint again. As we don't have a virtual "rag" to wipe off paint on there's no way to vary the Loading of a brush dynamically while painting.
    • Lastly, and this made my head hurt trying to imagine if or how it could be done: I like having layers in all my art programs. They give us the freedom to experiment and try things out. I just wish there was a way, and again I'm talking about Oils, that a new layer could be set to interact with a layer below as though both layers were still wet... in other words just as though we were painting on one layer... while retaining the option to switch this on or off when we do want to lay down wet paint on top of dry.

If you try experimenting with Thinners when the brush is at 0% loading you might find a better blending effect. While Thinners technically relate to the pigment on the brush, they will also have an effect on how the pigment on the canvas behaves due to the way the simulation works. Failing that, one of the palette knife options may provide better blending.

Auto-reloading as a toggle was something we considered early on but decided to avoid. While the idea is great from a realistic point of view it's dangerous from a user perspective as we want to ensure that situations where no paint is applied on a stroke are as rare as possible. We might look at it again in the future, because there's something compelling about the concept of adding that last element in to the simulation and treating it like a real brush, but I'm not sure if it will make it in. We have some other potential ways to make the process of switching tools easier however that might help.

Blending paint strokes on two layers isn't going to be possible unfortunately. The data that is tracked in order to produce the smearing/drying paint system is too complex for us to handle it over multiple active layers at this point, and the question of the resulting blended colour and which layer it would occupy opens up a large can of philosophical worms (as well as the problem of more than one layer being edited in a single operation that might cause data loss). Using the insta-dry option allows you to paint with paint that is immediately fixed and dried, but it isn't quite the same as two layers interacting in that manner.

Thanks for the ideas, it's really helpful hearing what people want from the product. Even if the exact features don't make it in the requests can frequently drive tweaks to other features or new concepts that fit in with the general request.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.