ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Thai Ghost - Nang Nag

Thai Ghost - Nang Nag

Hi,

Just a little contribution for Holloween.

It is of a Thai ghost, a female name Nang Nag". It is a true story that happend over 100 years ago. A story of a pregnat woman living in a boon dock of Thailand (no paved streets then) and when she was about 7 months pregnant her husband was drafted into the Army. She lived far form others and died trying to give birth to her baby, alone. It was over a month when the body was found and buried. But she haunted the house waiting for her husband which returned after 2 years in the Army, arriving home at night and was welcomed by Nang Nag in a human form.

They lived happily until one day he was under the house (a Thai hose which sits on stilts and the ground under is used for a lot of things), and saw this arm reaching for a dropped lemon all the way to the ground which was 6 feet from the floor. Then he knew and ran away. To make the end short, a monk had to capture her spirit and sent it to rest. It is a very sad love story.

Every Thai knows about this story and many movies were made.

I used a picture from one of the movies to paint this painting. Painted with airbrush and knife.

Any comments and advice are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost Nang Nak.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	49466  

Wow....a very spooky and haunting painting...
    Great story too.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

What a sad story, Jasmine...but the lady in the picture is seemingly happy lady...she must have a good life now wherever she lives now... a hard theme to paint and you've done very well.

Thanks so much Barn. and AT-TA for your kind comments. Sometimes life is worse than a novel.

The story went on much longer how she struggled to stay on this earth then got very mad and became very bad ghost--how love can go beyond. This is the ghost story that many kids heard in scary atmospheres and even a person who is not afraid very often, got pretty rattled.

Dear Jasmine, thank you for the story and illustration, always enjoy your outlook, such a sad amazing story

Scarie! The image conveys the story quite well.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

OMG, what a macabre and frightening story! The B&W painting and strange expression traits on one side fit it perfectly!
    Not unusual to hear of case of ghosts that did appear real, for intance I know the story of a guy who met an old master one day at his home upon his call and when he came back visiting him some time later he discovered that he was deas since one week when he met him!
    Here there's anyway the impressive point of an hyper-extended arm, leave the fact that since they were married, like in a Tim Burton animation, I'm scared to the thought of them sleeping together. So it's even more spooky in a way.
    I just hope that she was just the sister of Mister Fantastic instead, the chief of the Fantastic Four!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Well done, very well done.

Thanks to you all.

Thai ghosts are quite particular scary and disgusting. One ghost that scared me a lot that I still can't draw is ones with only a head with all essential inner organs hung out. I have weakness for the sight of internal organs which actually caused me to have a career on other science, not in medicine as intended. My father took me to see a surgery when I was around 12, that was the time I told him, no doctor for me, poor man, he was dissapointed. It was a abdomen surgery and I saw all the essential organs, that was it.

So the Thai ghost that have everything hung out was not drawn here.

When I was little, we kids saw Dracular, we just laughed for it never was scary to us! And we ate lots of garlic!!!