ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West - - Chapter 3

Moving West - - Chapter 3

"Sean, tis a new plan you'll be needing, for this one doesn't seem to be working too well..." muttered Sean Eaton, as he stared through the window of his jail cell.
    Having been in Boston three weeks, Sean was not unhappy with how things had gone to this point. True, he had missed a lot of meals, but hunger was not a new experience for him.
    By chopping wood for some housewife, sweeping out a tavern, or catching fish off the docks, he had managed to get enough food to get by. Most nights he was able to find a stable or hayloft to
    sleep in to avoid the weather. Other than a few odd jobs here and there, he had been unable to find regular work, but he had expected that to take time. It was one of those sweeping jobs that turned out to be more than Sean had bargained for.
    Having talked his way into a job sweeping out a tavern owned by a sympathetic Irish owner in midtown, Sean was almost finished, when he turned to his right, and bumped into a customer, causing him to spill his drink all over his clothes. The customer threw the rest of his drink against the wall, and burst into a long string of cussing, causing the crowd around them to burst into laughter.
    Ben Rupert was known to all as a man of great power and influence in the community, and, was not a man to tolerate being laughed at. “I want this wretched fellow fired, and fired NOW!” screamed Rupert at the tavern owner. “But Mr. Rupert”, he answered nervously, “The boy doesn't work here. He's just sweeping out in order to get a badly needed meal. It was just a mistake, and I know he meant no harm.”
    Not one to be put off, Rupert stormed out the door, down to the Constable's office, and demanded to have Sean arrested for vagrancy if no other charge could be found. The Constable was not eager to comply, but he knew that Rupert had the power to put him out of a job, so, down to the tavern they went, and Mr. Eaton, lately of Ireland, now had room and board, compliments of the city of Boston.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chapter 3 - Jail.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	49464  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Poor Sean, what hard beginnings he had to go through... no social services there to supply a turkey dinner for him...bad, bad time...hahaha good story, very educational to young generation...

Like the stones here...good job, Barney.

I know I haven't commented much on this interesting direction, but I make it a point to never comment until I read the whole story!

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    Poor Sean, what hard beginnings he had to go through... no social services there to supply a turkey dinner for him...bad, bad time...hahaha good story, very educational to young generation...

Like the stones here...good job, Barney.
    Yes, Sean's beginnings here, are not unlike those suffered by a great many during his time.

Glad you liked the stones. I sort of took the easy way out on those. I actually painted those stones for another painting. I liked the way they came out, and they took so much time to paint, that I made a stencil of them, and I used it in this painting, along with some
    overpainting, erasing,etc., to make it a bit different.
    Thanks AT!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    I know I haven't commented much on this interesting direction, but I make it a point to never comment until I read the whole story!

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to the same thing, because,
    truth be told - I'm just writing it as it comes together...
    Thank you Magen.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Like the story and have empathy for any immigrant. In our lovely USA, the last ones suffered so were Vietnamese and Hmongs.

Praying that Sean sees some kindness soon.

Barn, I have followed your story. Perhaps a little farther you can make an ebook and / or a pdf, unifying all the paintings with the story. Congratulations mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    Like the story and have empathy for any immigrant. In our lovely USA, the last ones suffered so were Vietnamese and Hmongs.

Praying that Sean sees some kindness soon.
    I'm pretty sure that things will get better for Sean.
    Just not yet sure when, or how...
    Thanks so much Jasmine.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by orianelima View Post
    Barn, I have followed your story. Perhaps a little farther you can make an ebook and / or a pdf, unifying all the paintings with the story. Congratulations mate.
    Oriane, I'm so glad you have found my story interesting enough to follow. You idea of an ebook or pdf is an interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into it, assuming this project turns out to be worthy enough.
    Thank you very much.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Dear Barnburner, the story is flowing quite well and so are blooming their relevant illustrations.
    You have all my admiration not only for these reasons, but also for Your perseveration and determination to go on as if You had a contract and money for it!
    Unfortunately I tend to be much more playful and eclectic with AR, thus unable to keep my mind and painting efforts focused on a similar task ....
    I guess I would need a firm order to venture in such an enterprise and this may be a confirmation I'm not a bohemien artist, rather a mercenary.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!