ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Zooming, Background Color, and Inking Pen

Zooming, Background Color, and Inking Pen

ArtRage on iPad is amazing! I just got an iPad as a gift, and ArtRage was my first app purchase!

After using it a while, I do have a few suggestions.

1) Zoom: I'd like to be able to zoom in further. I did a lot of painting on my iPhone and it was nice to get down the the pixel level. I tested ArtRage against a couple of painting apps. ArtRage had the lowest limit. I'm guessing 1000%. The other apps display the zoom level and go to 2500% and 3000%

2) Background Color: I'd like to be able to change the background color outside of the canvas to either gray, dark gray or black. I was thinking an intuitive way would be to just tap the outside of the canvas with the paint bucket. I find the default off-white distracting and overly bright when I have the lights off.

3) Inking Pen Taper: I like the taper option, but I wish there was a second taper setting to place the thickness somewhere besides the middle of the line. Ideally it would be a percent slider and I can put the bulge a percent of the way through the line. I don't need this setting on the PC version because I have pen pressure.

Thanks for listening!

I agree, need bigger zoom, like you pen idea too. I'm OK with white but I knw you can change desktop version.... So why not iPad.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

After working a lot more in Art Rage, I REALLY need the adjustable taper position. To weight the fat tip toward the begining or end of the stroke. My current work around is to make a new layer, draw my line so that halfway through it meets where I want it to connect, then erase the unused half, and finally merge layer down. This would really fill the gap that lack pressure sensitivity has left.

I think Sketchbook app uses velocity of the stroke to determine width. But I dont like that app as much. Here is the WIP of the current image I'm working on with ArtRage iPad. I think I really shows the need for adjust able tapering.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterblues View Post

2) Background Color: I'd like to be able to change the background color outside of the canvas to either gray, dark gray or black. I was thinking an intuitive way would be to just tap the outside of the canvas with the paint bucket. I find the default off-white distracting and overly bright when I have the lights off.

I'm not sure if it's possible on the iPad, but it might be. Does the iPad have the Color Sampler tool? If so, try selecting the color you want, then select the Color Sampler and tap on the Background to see if it changes. If not that, you could try going to the Preferences panel (again, if iPad has one) and seeing if there is a way to change the background under the Interface category, as one can in Studio Pro.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 12-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks Someonesane. The background color feature was added to the iPad in version 1.0.3. This post was first written before then.

I'm still holding out for the zoom and taper option.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterblues View Post
    Thanks Someonesane. The background color feature was added to the iPad in version 1.0.3. This post was first written before then.

I'm still holding out for the zoom and taper option.

Oh, okay. That should be good news to some people . Some other forum members have asked about an adjustable taper location option, as well. So maybe we'll get to see something like it eventually. I know I'd use it, lol.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yeah, velocity=stroke width is a nice feature for inking.