ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Simple layer question

Simple layer question

I'm one of those guys that prefer to use the Search mode, but I will do this because I usually don't: ask a question that probably can be found just by searching.

But here it goes anyway

I want to color my JPEG lineart. What's the easiest method if I just want to keep the lineart, and be able to color the area that's white? Perhaps also even color black lines? If I choose to make another layer on top of my lineart, it will color over the black lines as well. If I make one below the lineart, well yeah..

Seems like a great forum and I love ArtRage.

Take care guys
    Last edited by merhawi; 10-21-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Hi merhawi,

If you have some black lineart on a white background and want to colour over it without covering the black, add a new layer, then right click it to bring up the menu for that layer and set its blend mode to 'tint' ( or 'multiply' ). I hope that's of some help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi merhawi,

If you have some black lineart on a white background and want to colour over it without covering the black, add a new layer, then right click it to bring up the menu for that layer and set its blend mode to 'tint' ( or 'multiply' ). I hope that's of some help.
    That solved my problem, thank you very much Dave!

Okay so I'm back with another question. I've imported my lineart and created a new layer above my lineart and set the Blend Mode to Tint. Let's call that layer bgcolor. I then filled bgcolor with blue and everything was good, I used the Buckettool that says "Fill". But:

1. I try to do exact the same thing now but when I do so it only fills certain areas. Before I did this the Buckettool filled the whole lineart with blue color, and the black lines of the lineart stayed as they were.

2. When I create another layer above bgcolor and choose Tint, the colors become "darker" and if I choose to set the layer to Normal, the color now covers the whole lineart.

I'm more used to Photoshop, but not a PS-expert to even begin with so..

Any clues?

1/ On your second layer ( bgcolor ), after selecting the fill tool, open the settings panel on the left and check that 'Single Layer' is checked. If it's unchecked, the fill tool takes into account things on other layers ( like your linework ) so won't fill the whole layer.

2/ If you have for example, a layer covered in blue, then place another layer on top of that covered in blue, set to multiply/tint, what you see will be darker because the blue color of the top layer is multiplied with the blue colour of the layer beneath. If you set a blend mode to normal, what place on a layer is what you end up with, much like putting a sheet of plastic over your painting, then coloring it in an opaque color.

ArtRage uses similar blend modes to Photoshop, so if you have ways of setting up your layers in Photoshop that work for you, you could set up your layers in a similar way in ArtRage if that's any help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I prefer to set my line work layer to Multiply blend, which allows me to color the image in on layers I create under it. This saves me time, from having to set a blend mode for each layer I may create and allows me to color over any fill areas that may require it. Please refer to my attached image for more details.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multiply-layer.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	376.3 KB 
ID:	49478
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.