ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Feng Zhu Interview - Thursday Oct 21st

Feng Zhu Interview - Thursday Oct 21st

Hi Guys,

I had posted this link in another thread discussion but realised a bunch of you who might be interested could miss it. It's on another site and may not necessarily be about ArtRage but the info will be good.

A guy called Feng Zhu is giving a interview over at It'sArt Thursday night. He uses photos, painting, all sorts to quickly (industry pressure) put images together for concept art destined for games, film etc. He knows his stuff and can draw. It makes a difference - and he is worth listening to, from what I've seen so far.

The link to where it will take place is here -

http://www.itsartmag.com/ialivechat.html

It is using a beta conferencing tool called Vokle - you can just watch if you like, but you may have to register for free to engage and ask questions (not sure) - but as well as the usual text it allows you to pre-record video questions to submit to him if you like. Sounds good.

Feng Zhu teaches as well - there are some short samples here - also on It'sARt. Good stuff.
    http://www.itsartmag.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=35&t=4525

Plus there have been some more vid samples added here as a teaser . . . . better still -

http://www.itsartmag.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=35&t=4701

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

thanks a lot for this info, Feng Zhu is amazing

It was an interesting chat. I think you posted a question too Nick, unless it was someone with your same name

The highlight for me was when a bored Feng Zhu asked "is this going on any longer?" -- that was plainly unkind, and it gave me the feeling that he accepted to do that interview only for doing some promotion about his school -- after this was accomplished he was already wanting to escape and get back to his work or whatever he was doing. I felt pity for the poor guy doing the interview, he was clearly feeling uncomfortable after that and he tried to say something like "according to your schedule .. we talked about having 1 hour of interview .. if you need to go of course you can .. " etc. I guess Feng understood he said something he had to better keep for himself and said "I can stay a bit more". Really, it was a scene I would better not see and that ruined the whole session, from my point of view.

Beside that he gave some nice and interesting generic info

Hi Andrea,

Yes I posted a couple of questions but some got lost in the queueing. I have some links with the It'sArt site and am likely to be found there quite a lot.

Feng is obviously very driven and deadline focused. It was great to be able to get a chap with his credentials to grant an interview at all - and luckily I missed that bit you mention, because somehow, being me, I got the timing wrong and was a tad late turning up to see it.

The stuff I did see was like gold dust - straight from the horse's mouth info about what concept art creation is really like under industry conditions. His getting fidgety about getting back to work is kind of indicative of the pressures that go with it I guess. It doesn't surprise me at all and I still hold the guy in the highest regard.

Glad you enjoyed it. A recording of it is archived in the forum section of of It'sArt now - along with some great sessions by Cris Delara who is also associated with the site. Alex, the 'unfortunate' interviewer you mentioned is her husband.

Keep your eyes open for more video chat sessions coming up there. I plan to offer some ArtRage based ones in the future as and when I can get my cam and other equipment better set up - if that is of any interest. But there should be much more entertaining and informative offerings in the mix.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks for the info Nick

Don't get me wrong, Feng Zhu is and remains a true master of concept art also in my opinion

I was just meaning that he could probably have not said what he said; I do care a lot about such "little things", no matter who is talking to who

Beside that, I would surely be interested in seeing your ArtRage screen-casts, and I guess everyone else should be too

... You can bet I am too, Andrea, and hope You two would pack a duet!
    Thank You, dear Nick, for this most interesting information and sites!
    I think that Andrea, as most of us weird Italians, including myself, cannot stand very much undue pressures coming from dull productivity or just making as much money as You can and then live too stressed and miserely (with possibly unexpacted behaviours such as the one that remarked Andrea as a consequence).
    This may also lead to some quality and process improvement opportunity loss, especially for more artistic and creative works, which would require an amount of pleasure too while working to be safeguarded.
    We tend to prefer effectiveness to efficiency whenever possible and better and also a life that deserves to be lived for ephemeral reasons other than only as a mere gallery of frozen material achievements and successes.
    This need seems to be surfacing also in the economical doctrine where they realized since some time that GDP and GDP/pro capita as indicators are not the best way to measure the wealth of a nation, least its people happiness.
    Am I wrong Andrea and Nick?
    Last edited by Caesar; 10-23-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

The point is that Feng Zhu is an amazingly skilled artist and he shows professional attitude even in the way he talks; his chat was full with advices that are clearly showing what the professional attitude should be. From my point of view, he IS the prototype of the highly productive and professional concept artist.

But (here comes the "but") no matter who you are and how professional and cool you are, you still should be as kind as possible with the people. I see it like that, plain and simple.

I also keep in mind that maybe the whole "accident" was due to some misunderstanding they had, and so I'm maybe seeing things that are not like I think they are, who knows. The net is vehicle for great misunderstanding and they had an huge delay in the chat, who knows, everything can be, etc etc.

Thank you very much Nick for the links;
    the interview was very impressive to me , I appreciate the sincerity,
    all good advises.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?