ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Moving West - Chapter Two

Moving West - Chapter Two

The luck o' the Irish has held true for young Sean Eaton. The captain managed to keep the ship afloat in the midst of a nightmare of an Atlantic storm. Poor Sean, who had never been at sea before, was not sure he would not have preferred a watery grave over the bout of sea sickness that left him weak as a kitten below decks.
    On the third morning after the storm, the Captain pulled up before the Boston harbor, as he waited for the fog to lift. A fellow Irishman among the crew,passed along to Sean, that he had overheard the Captain telling the First Mate that he was not to let Sean off the ship when they anchored in the harbor. They would press him into service for the return voyage to Ireland. Figuring Sean was running from something, the Captain intended to check with the authorities upon arrival back in Ireland. If Sean was wanted, he would be turned in for the reward.
    As the fog began to lift, Sean moved himself into position, and when the ship eased into the harbor, he went over the side and began swimming for the closest land. With some of the fog still hanging close to the water, in a harbor filled with ships , Sean correctly anticipated that the Captain would not dare spare any of the crew for a chase.
    As each stroke brought him closer to land, young Mr. Eaton realized that his "escape" was in a sense, temporary at best. Once his feet were upon dry land, he would be in an unfamiliar country, with different customs, no money, no clothes other than what he carried with him, and dim prospects for a job to help

him begin his new life. Would he find other men from Ireland that would try and help him, or would he find people from other countries that would refuse to hire him because of his Irish heritage?
    With a mind full of these questions and more, Sean pulled himself from the water, and put one foot in front of the other, headed for Boston in search of answers - whatever they might prove to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Exit.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	49440  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-15-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

This one was certainly less challenging and anxiety-generating for You, dear mate, since the ship is mostly unseen .... Nonetheless is a fantastic illustration two and the enthralling story goes on ....
    What a luck the protagonist could swim!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    This one was certainly less challenging and anxiety-generating for You, dear mate, since the ship is mostly unseen .... Nonetheless is a fantastic illustration two and the enthralling story goes on ....
    What a luck the protagonist could swim!
    This one had it's own unique challenges. It was important that I show the ship, at least the coastline of his new home, the harbor, and his swimming escape from the Captain who would return him to Ireland.
    Couldn't figure out how to do a closeup on one aspect without risking the others, so this is the compromise I came up with.
    Thank you Caesar for the kind compliment. Much appreciated.
    Oh, and if by chance, he would not have been able to swim, I'd probably have had him load himself in a ship's cannon, and shoot himself to landfall...
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Good story Barney. As i read it i was thinking about Timothy Eaton, the owner of a huge closing store here in Canada.

Very nice illustration..

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    Good story Barney. As i read it i was thinking about Timothy Eaton, the owner of a huge closing store here in Canada.

Very nice illustration..
    Who knows - he and I might be related...
    One of the reasons I came up with that name, is that my mother's side of the family were Eatons and
    originally were from Ireland.

Thank you so much AT!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Nice calm scene, the opposite to the Chapter one, well done indeed. For the new immigrants, great challenges are coming!

Love the story Barnburner and the painting is just like I would imagine when reading. Great job
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    Nice calm scene, the opposite to the Chapter one, well done indeed. For the new immigrants, great challenges are coming!
    Thank you Jasmine. I do appreciate it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Love the story Barnburner and the painting is just like I would imagine when reading. Great job
    Many thanks Coops! So glad you are enjoying it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: