ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving West..........Chapter One

Moving West..........Chapter One

After his Mother died from a combination of famine and overwork, seventeen year old Sean Eaton found himself trying in vain to eek out a living on their small piece of land near Dunquin, Ireland. His father had been gone four years, serving in the various armies of Europe, trying to earn enough to take the family to America. Not a word had come about him since he left, so as was the case with many Irish men of the day, he was counted lost in the fighting, with no idea of where or when it had happened.
    As Sean walked to town, he had no way of knowing that his life would forever be altered by the events of that day. Entering the outskirts of town, Sean saw a nobleman,who he knew to be a arrogant and mean spirited man, beating an old man with a cane. Acting on instinct, Sean knocked the nobleman to the ground, and carried the old man to safety. In short order, friends brought word that the nobleman had ordered all his men to find Sean, and bring back his head, as a warning to anyone that might dare interferre again. Sean knew that no matter how carefully he hid, it was just a matter of time until he was found and murdered. Remembering his father's plan to move the family to America in search of a better future, Sean hid out in a cave until dark. Late that night, when almost everyone was asleep, he slipped aboard a ship destined for Boston. Sean's luck held. They were two days at sea, before he was caught as a stow-a-way. Being too far to turn back, he was pressed into duty as a member of the crew for the rest of the voyage.
    Now, facing his first big storm at sea, Sean realized that his life might end sooner in this storm, that it would have at home,

hiding from the nobleman's hired men. Still, in Sean's mind, a death at sea, as a free man, was better than a lifetime of living in fear in the land he had just left.
    It's a terrible storm, but the captain is capable, the crew experienced. The ship is old, but quite sturdy, so with a little luck, Sean may yet see the shores of the land his Father dreamed would provide a better life for his family. If so, it is there he will set about trying to make his father's dream a reality.

------------------------
    I have an idea of making this sort of a series, following this young man as he flees Ireland to America, then follow him westward as like so many
    in the 1800s, moved across the country in search of
    a better future. At this point, it's an idea. that may or may not work out. Never know what perils await us around the corner, so, time will tell. What the heck - if it doesn't work out - you get your money back.

I hope Jack is not looking, because I know there are a million mistakes with this ship..
    I found a stencil (not sure where it came from - maybe Jack, maybe Misterpaint, I don't know, but thanks to whomever.) Anyway - I didn't want to just use the stencil to make the ship, so I used the stencil to make a rough drawing, then used the drawing as a reference photo to guide me as I painted the ship in freehand.

Hope ya'll like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ship in Peril.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	49396  
    Last edited by barnburner; 12-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Superb Barn
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Very very nice Barnburner

What a powerful scene You depicted here! ... and how different from Your usual ones! I also like Your bold use of the tools that made this work so impressive!
    It's also a good poster to support Your new storyteller role ....
    Last edited by Caesar; 10-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I still rember the cracking and squeeking when travelled on the oceanic ship and the storm hit us in the midst of the sea... all of a sudden one feels so helpless and lonely and sad... and when the beam of lights of another ship flashes up on the dark horizon....oh..how you love her...even if it might be only the bunch of pirates.....

Barney, interesting story and good painting going with it.

Always admired the guts of people who moved to an unknown land and always wish them well.

I could feel the fear, the helpless feelings from this painting, very well done indeed.

Great story and great painting Barnburner. Looking forward to seeing another one
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

What an intriguing story and a great painting to go along with it, I hope you continue and I will be following

The artwork is superb!
    I am just so impressed! More, please! Soon, please.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Amanda - Thank you. Your kind words are so appreciated.

Pat - Thanks so much. Glad you liked it.

Caesar - Many thanks. I was really intimidated about painting this ship so close up, but it was the only way I could really capture the power and danger of the storm, so I took a run at it.

AT - Your kind comments fall on welcome ears. Thank you.

Jasmine - Thanks so very much. I'm happy that you liked it.

Coops - I am so glad that you liked this painting. Thanks!

Jean - I hope to be able to continue this story, and if so, I appreciate your interest. Thank you.

Skylar - Considering how fearful I was about tackling this particular painting, I'm truly excited to hear such great comments. Thanks. Chapter Two will be forthcoming - hopefully not too long.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: