ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help please: Export resolution and size problem

Help please: Export resolution and size problem

I have Studio Pro 3 on a 64-bit Win 7 system. I either get an out of memory error (my computer is an i7 with 12 GB RAM.. not likely to be out of memory by using ArtRage alone!) when trying to import large (70MB) tiff file or it gets imported but does not show up.

I cancel out of the import function and bring the same file in as tracing, which it brings in successfully. I convert the tracing to paint and want to export (I am only trying to add a cool canvas texture to it this time). No matter how hard I try, the export becomes a measly 3 MB file with only 2500 x 1500 pixels and 72 ppi resolution. The original file brought in was a 5184 X 3456 pixel file at 300 ppi.

How can I keep the resolution in tact and export the file to tiff or jpg the same size as it was when I imported it into ArtRage?

Hey CaRedhair,

I tested this on my pc:

Acer aspire M3640
    Intel pentium dual core E2200
    2.20 Ghz with 3 GB Ram
    windows XP pro (32bit)

I imported a tiff file 4943 x 7500 - 300 Dpi - size 597mb with several layers as a new image, no prob
    adjusted the canvas (bigger roughness and grain size) then exported to tiff and jpeg, both have the same dimention as the imported
    tiff = 95,8mb (32bit) and jpeg = 26mb (24bit)

Next, opend a new file 4943 x 7500 - 300 Dpi and imported the tiff file (597mb) as a trace image and converted it to a layer, again adjusted the canvas and exported as tiff and jpeg with no probs and the same dimention as the imported file
    tiff = 93,7mb (32bit) and jpeg = 22,6mb (24bit)

Hope this help

@ the Artrage team, WOW! I'm very impressed! normaly I do't work in Artrage on that size (when done in Artrage, I resize (bigger) and sharpen my work always with photoshop)
    with the tests I did, I could do every thing I do with a smaller file with almost no lag in movements!
    Thanks for this amazing software.

Have A nice weekend,
    GekkouJin

is 64-bit the problem?

Thanks GekkouJin for testing it. Perhaps the problem on my computer is that it is 64-bit. Your is 32-bit and it seems to work on yours but not on mine... no matter what I do it changes the size to some tiny little thing...

What's to do on the 64-bit computers????

Thanks for any input!

Whether the computer is 64 or 32 bit doesn't really matter, the app runs fine on both. ArtRage is a 32-bit application so it can only access the first 3-4GB of your RAM, but 5184 X 3456 isn't large enough to cause memory problems so that's probably not the issue here.

It's possible that there's some data in the TIFF that's causing a problem when the app tries to convert it to the internal format on import. If the TIFF has layers or data specific to another application it may not import properly. TIFF files can have all sorts of custom data in there so you may find importing won't work. Even if there's custom data however, you can probably still load as a tracing image because that's not trying to convert data to the app's internal format, it's just loading a flat version of the image. Could you let us know what the file has in it and what app wrote it? That may help us work out why it can't load.

Regarding importing as a tracing image and converting to paint: Tracing images adopt the size of the canvas. If your canvas is already 2500 x 1500 then the tracing image will be that size when converted to paint.

Create a new image at 5184 X 3456 (ppi is basically irrelevant as you're working in pixel size anyway, but set 300 so that it is stored on export), load the TIFF as a tracing image, then convert it to paint. That should create the effect you're after.

With more information on the nature of the imported image we might be able to find out what's happening when you try and import it directly.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Importing in twice seems to work

Thanks MattRage for your fast response. No matter how hard I try, if I simply bring in a trace, it reduces its size.

The only thing I can do is bring the image in twice. I found this out now in trial and error.

First I bring the image in as "import image" and keeping that open I immediately then import the same in as a trace image as well. If I do this, I am able to retain the size and resolution after exporting to either JPEG or TIFF. But importing in an image file only as a tracer, convert that to a paint layer, and then export it to JPEG or TIFF, ArtRage reduces the file size for some reason.

So I guess on my computer everything must be imported in twice.. weird!

As we know that Import Image has a problem with your file, you shouldn't be using that to try and get the correct dimensions. Try this:

Select the menu option to create a new image and in the new file dialog select 'Screen Size' as the sizing option then choose to load a tracing image. Select your TIFF file as the tracing image, then back in the new file dialog the 'use tracing image size' option should be available. Click that, it should set the pixel size of the new canvas to match the image you selected for tracing. Set the DPI value to 300 and okay the file creation.

That will create a canvas of the same dimensions as your TIFF file, and apply the file as a tracing image. You can then convert that image to paint.

Don't worry about the size of the file on disk. Your original TIFF may be uncompressed or contain data that isn't stored when the image is output from ArtRage, the only thing that is important is the pixel size of the image and dpi value.

Could you let us know a bit more about the file you are trying to import? What application created it, does it contain layers, does it contain vector art or pixel art etc. That will help us find out why it's causing a problem for the importer.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Great idea!

Thanks Mattrage, I will definitely try that today! By the way, I reformatted my computer--it was giving me trouble with some other software too. However, in trying to reinstall ArtRage I had installer error. I installed it using Win XP installer on Win 7--amazingly I figured out how to do that.

But this tells me that there are some issues with Win 7 on 64-bit (not necessarily ArtRage's fault!) that still needs to be ironed out.

I will test your suggestion today and see what happens.

Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about the computer problems! Regarding the installer, the ArtRage Studio Pro installer is a standard Windows installer file and compatible with Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit versions, so if you had an error installing it and had to use any other method than just double clicking the installer file and following the prompts, there's something else going wrong and ArtRage may not be correctly installed.

An error could indicate that the installer file itself may be damaged, or that the Windows Installer ( component of Windows which installs these types of file ) is having a problem. Just in case, it may be worthwhile downloading the latest 3.0.7 installer from the member area at http://members.artrage.com

If you find you're having problems installing, feel free to email us directly at support@artrage.com and we'll be happy to troubleshoot it with you. Let us know the exact text of the installation error message and the last thing that you see before it happens.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design