ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoor Ballylee

Thoor Ballylee

I was experimenting here. This started out as line art using the technical pen (see "Thoor" in WIP) and finished using watercolor. Both media are new to me.

Here´s the explanatory info on the image, based on an old reference pic I took some years ago. Always a fan of William Butler Yeats! :

The poet W. B. Yeats was so enchanted with this sixteenth-century tower house beside the Cloon River that he purchased the property in 1916 and restored it. For twelve years Yeats made "Thoor Ballylee" his summer home, which he found "so full of history and romance" that he was inspired to write "The Winding Stair" and "The Tower Poems". He once said: "To leave here is to leave beauty behind", and in a letter to Olivia Shakespeare wrote: "We are in our Tower and I am writing poetry as I always do here, and, as always happens, no matter how I begin, it becomes love poetry before I am finished with it", and remarked "as you see I have no news, for nothing happens in this blessed place but a stray beggar or a heron".
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thr4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	456.3 KB 
ID:	49167  
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Scott, this is just amazing.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Fantastic work Scott,I just commented on your pencil WIP,and now to see your colour result is wonderful.Well done.

Scott a remarkable painting, with a wonderful story. Your wip is also very interesting. Thanks.

hi scottie It looks like my eye's where wrong as everybody else seem's quite happy, i liked the wip's apart from the roof the finished product
    is great still not sure about the roof angle's ---E/S

it looks as if you built this one stone by stone... extraordinary Scott! marvelous story to go with the inspirational artwork.

Interesting living quarters for sure...i am not suprised that his poeme muse probably lived downstairs and whenever he appeared around supplied him with appropriate material for his work. How many stones in the tower.....??? Have you counted them? So much detail in this work... it really deserves the first place ...lovely contrasts.... the tower seems ...is still growing...gorgeous for the first time watercolors Scott.

Great work Scott!!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

After the sight of Your graphical doweled marvel of this, I'm now stunned by this colored version where You discovered a procedure and a style absolutely amazing. Excellent in any sense!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

What a dantastic, detailed paitning. Georgeous!