ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Looking for Some Digital Tips on Underpaintings

Question Looking for Some Digital Tips on Underpaintings

First some background: back when I was working in traditional media, I used to do a grayscale or low saturation underpainting and then built up the hues and colours through glazing. But my experiments so far in digital at emulating this technique have been a bit disappointing, due to artifacts and the like -- often meaning I have to go back and do some significant "fixes" to overcome the flaws that crept in. Now, I note this has not been restricted to Artrage (which I love!) but to other digital art programs too.

Now, I would like to return to my old technique but so far I am getting frustrated. Any ideas other than approaching paintings via the "draw and block in" or al fresco techniques?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Using ArtRage on DeviantArt since 2007.

I don't know if I understand what you mean.

I mostly start painting in grayscale (shadow & light)
    my next layer is in blendmode "overlay" for coloring what I painted in grayscale

hope this help.

Ah, it sounds like you have the gist of it. Yes, I meant working from an initial grayscale lower layer and then placing the colours on top of it in a separate layer. (My previous efforts at doing this tended to produce some unusual colours when the layers blended.)

So, you use the overlay mode. I confess I haven't tried it yet. I'll give it a shot.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Using ArtRage on DeviantArt since 2007.