ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Basic Oak

Basic Oak

Hey this is my first time using artrage for a couple of years now and I decided to do a basic water color scheme. So I decided to do a bright basic tree =) This is my first full painting on artrage so please tell me anything I can do to improve! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreatOak.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	49040  

First off, if this is your first full painting on ArtRage,
    you have done a great job. This is well done.
    As far as suggestions:
    You might want to consider working in some signs of
    branches among the leaves.
    Also, You might consider adding some grass, weeds,etc., near the base of the tree, to make the
    tree trunk coming out of the ground, look a bit more
    natural.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

3. I would say maybe add some form to the tree by adding darker leaves at the back and highlighting some of the leaves at the front. Add some shading to make it 3d is what I'm trying to say really. I think that help make the piece stand out more.

Most importantly, try to use a combination of paper texture and wash / bleed in order to impart to the viewer that this is a watercolor. Despite what the "settings" say, a simulated painting won't come across as being created in a chosen medium unless you focus on tweaking those settings. With the real thing, of course, the physical characteristics of the medium are immutable!

Also, when you center your subject thus, the eye cannot help but see all of that empty space surrounding this lonely tree... But it comes off as unfinished. When painting a scene as spare as this one, I suggest you take a tip from traditional Eastern painters (Japanese & Chinese), and frame your subject asymmetrically. In nature, few things are perfectly symmetrical, and respecting this tack can really bring a natural elegance to sparse scene.

I like the palette.

Keep it up!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Icepulse; 10-28-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Added content

Quote Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner View Post
    Add some shading to make it 3d
    The leaves are enough in 3d, they're just being away from the observer .
    I'm not sure, but blurry grass and the horizon(sky) - is the mist (fog)?
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr