ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: cherry blossoms

cherry blossoms

Okay...I had something like this in mind but it's off "way off"....I am looking for any advice on the stream and okay...the over all picture.

All comments are welcome...I promise you can't think it's worse than I do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherry blossoms.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	49022  

2. When ever starting out on a landscape piece, its good to consider the angle the view is looking at. In the piece you have posted, I can imagine that we as the viewer are looking down from another tree and this is why the angle of the floor looks the way it does. I think in future, try laying out some grids or guidelines for the floor based on 2 point perspective.

To add more dimension to the piece, try painting in some atmosphere behind the trees to add depth to the piece. This is called atmospheric persective... I think.

I think the colours of the piece are striking and come across dream like. I would like to see some shading done to make it seem more three dimensional and when doing this, consider where the main light source is. This will have an effect on the stream as then you can consider adding highlights to the ripples.

I hope that helps. I look forward to seeing you post up some of you additions. Good luck!

Smile

Thanks so much for the great tips...I will try your suggestions, don't know that I will be able to do them justice but will try.

Blessings in Art
    Gigi

I would agree with what shrunkendesign offered.
    You have done a fine job on this, but a few alterations
    would make it a really splendid painting.
    The horizon you have painted doesn't match with the perspective. If you paint it from the perspective of a straight on viewing, then the horizon can disappear low in the painting like you have it. If you are going to paint it from above, then you will need either to extend the horizon, or, hide with it background (trees, hills, mountains,etc.)
    If you add in pieces of tree limbs here and there in the trees, and match the blue of the sky, and spot the sky here and there, the trees will look more realistically.
    Also, considering the considerable amount of color in those trees, I would make the reflection in the stream
    reflect those colors.

If you are not using layers, I would suggest doing so, at least until you feel comfortable in not having to make a lot of changes. Layers allow you to experiment without forcing you to repaint the entire painting. You can erase, alter, delete,etc any particular item with messing up your painting.

Again, I like what you have done here. Certainly much better than my early landscapes, that's for sure.
    Just a few touch ups would make a big difference.
    Last edited by barnburner; 10-26-2010 at 04:00 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: