ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Request: digital brush, once again

Request: digital brush, once again

Could we get ordinary, non-incremental brush? Like the old digital brush from year ENIAC?
    Such controlled tool is very useful when painting (not only in image editing).

Reasons for this:
    - digital painting style
    - controlled overlays
    - blocking and composing pictures and poses
    - sculpting-style painting
    - finalizing work, like removing texture from some areas and smoothing
    - sharp, unmixed edges
    - controlled recoloring
    - controlled anything
    - overlays
    - finalizing
    - overlays

I guess it could be implemented so that it would only edit RGBA -channels and leave wetness and such alone. This would allow recoloring without changing anything else, soft overlays, and highlights without paint mixing. But I could see that editing wetness alone accurately could give a boost for certain techniques. Custom brushes wouldn't be bad either, for making stencils, stamps and such.

This behaviour would also make Pencil lot more realistic. Currently even slight pressure causes noticeable darkening, even though in real life it would not. This gets annoying sometimes.

Maybe instead of "Digital brush", you could add some single checkbox somewhere, saying "Non-incremental tools" or so? Both would be great, digital brush for control and non-incremental tools for realism. Add blending tool and watercolor, and I disappear.

Please, this would be huge timesaver. Now I have to export things back and forth every fifteen minutes to do things which would already be done if Artrage would have this one tool.

Btw, thanks for introducing blending modes to Artrage. Very, very useful. I would prefer having "Multiply" in addition to "Screen" and "Linear burn" in first blend mode menu, if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You could get a similar effect by adding a layer, setting the layer opacity to 10%, and using the airbrush with with 100% pressure.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Same effect could be done with multiple layers. But that's a hassle if one only wants to have non-additive opacity during stroke (so that it can be varied). To give a lame example: I may not want full opacity at one corner but rather zero and then proceed to another corner, constantly adding pressure so I would get quick hand-made gradient. Now I would need to create tens of layers, each with same opacity to get similar effect.

It's faster to export and import constantly and do those strokes in another program, sadly so. Is incremental-opacity brush model so deeply integrated into current Artrage codebase that another model can not be added?

Oh we can do anything. It's just a matter of priorities, and what 'fits' with ArtRage.
    A digital brush with digital ink type behaviours has been talked about here, and it may make it to a future ArtRage release.

Incidentally, regarding your layer blend mode question: 'Tint' in the first-level layer blend-mode menu is indeed Photoshop's Multiply mode.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

If digital brush does not fit the mindset, could you please make other tools optionally non-incremental? Make it hidden option or something if it clutters UI too much. While pencil is important for sketching, it currently adds pigment way too quickly even with very light pressure.

I guess digital brush would be that kind of feature some illustrators/designers would be willing to pay for. It would allow mixing techniques and it would make some workflows considerably faster.

It indeed is "multiply"! I ignorantly presumed it was "overlay" or "hue" or something like that..