ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare corel painter versus artrage studio pro

Compare corel painter versus artrage studio pro

I have never used corel painter x so I would like people to compare it to artrage studio pro. I would like to see images of the equivalent tools in each program and an impasto painting in painter compared to artrage. I would like to also see images of how well each program emulates their natural media tools like chalk and watercolor.

I have ArtRage Studio Pro 3 and Corel Painter IX.5 and I love both... However lately Painter sits idle... I find ArtRage a lighter app & much easier to use though...

I do prefer Painter's blending tools especially the add water & stump blender... Other then that, ArtRage is my weapon of choice when it comes to sketching or painting....

Cheers

Ken

I work with Corel Painter 11 and ArtRage Studio Pro and even though they are both natural media softwares they do behave quite differently. Sometimes I prefer ArtRage, sometimes I prefer Painter.

Apart from the price tag, this is my point on view about the softwares :

ArtRage pros :
    more stable & less bugs than Painter
    more responsive
    better interface

Painter 11 pros :
    more versatile
    more tools and creative chances
    integrated image editing tools

I guess you could try both of them and see the differences on your own. If you want a software that is more complete and gives you a huge range creative possibilities, then Painter is probably the best choice. If you want a software that is fast, very well done, with a good selection of awesome tools, then ArtRage is the way to go.

Beside that, they are different and so my advice would be to get both and use each software for what is doing better -- that is what I did. And in the end, what truly matters is what we need for expressing ourselves -- or, if it's our job, what we need for expressing ourselves AND meeting the needing of our job

About comparing the tools with samples : it's not an easy thing to do because in Painter you can tweak hundreds of settings for each tool, while ArtRage is having a more compact range of settings.

This is an example of the single ArtRage chalk vs one of the various Painter's ones :

and here is some messing around with oils :

The behavior is quite different : Painter's oils for instance are simulating and displaying the bristle's hair and reacting to rotation and tilting of the stylus. As I said there are many settings so you can't really show the "look of Painter's oils" in an image.

ArtRage oils are more responsive and ArtRage canvas lighting technology is very interesting. That being said, to test and compare oils we should do a comprehensive test with color mixing, palette knives, all kind of different settings and papers, and so on. It's much faster and more useful if you get your hands on the software and try them on your own, in a week of tests you will very likely understand what is better for you

I would like you to compare artist oils with impasto turned on blended with a palette knife set to level impasto in painter to the flat oil brush in artrage with real color blending turned on smoothed out with a palette knife.

For those who might not know.

"The developers of ArtRage are the same guys and gals that developed the
    Kai's Power Tools plug-in sets for Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop.
    "

Phil
    Last edited by Aged P; 10-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Artweaver is another Painter type application... I played with the beta and really enjoyed it... I've not tried the retail version now that it's market ready....

http://www.artweaver.de/

@nayrb : this is what you asked for. Keep in mind that in ArtRage I had canvas lighting on and texture active, while on Painter I had a very subtle paper texture. The right way to do the test would be to have the same canvas texture on both ArtRage and Painter, but it would do quite few difference concerning the overall way oils behave.

I also added Real Bristle to the comparison as a way for showing that in Painter there is not "oils" but very different kinds of them.

Oils are behaving differently in ArtRage and Painter -- so as I said already I think it's better to use both programs if possible and get the best out of each other, depending on what we need.

@Aged P : if I'm not wrong the guys at Ambient also developed the technology behind the color mixer palette in Painter.

Thank you, The next tools to compare would be the crayon tool in artrage and the oil pastel tool in painter both tools set to similar softness. (Turn real color blending on for this test as well and be sure canvass texture is turned off)
    Last edited by nayrb; 10-08-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Both Painter and ArtRage are having demos, I suggest you to simply install them and do all the tests you need

ArtRage demo : http://www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html

Painter 11 demo : http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...3#tabview=tab7

Quote Originally Posted by nayrb View Post
    I already tried both demos.

You did? Then why do you need people to do side by side examples for you?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.