ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Disappearing and duplicating paintings on Update

Disappearing and duplicating paintings on Update

Hi ArtRage team,

I just updated my iPad to the newest ArtRage. After the update I opened the app to check it out. ArtRage didn't load the painting I was working on, but a different one that I hadn't touched in a couple of days. I thought that was odd, so I just backed out to the gallery.

In the gallery, I noticed the painting that I was in was a duplicate. Then I noticed that some of my paintings were missing. I think 3 are missing.

I'm not sure what happened, but that is pretty undesirable behavior. 3 missing paintings and 1 duplicated.

It's also interesting to note, if I open a new painting. Do some painting on the canvas, then exit to the gallery by using "Dont save. Go to Gallery". I exit to the gallery. I then close down the app. When I reopen the app, the painting that I didn't save opens in the app.

I hope this is helpful. I don't know how to reproduce the upgrade issue with missing paintings. The unsaved paintings reappearing is easy to reproduce though. Feel free to contact me if you need further information.

I've also noticed, that the program is having a hard time remembering the orientation of paintings.

For instance, when I paint in portrait orientation, I always have the iPad home button on the bottom of the screen. I have a portrait orientated painting I have been working on for a couple of days. I just went to work on it and upon opening, Artrage has flipped the painting. So now when my iPad home button is on the bottom the painting is upside down.

I have had a number of other weird orientation issues very similar to this. There is also a problem when using the "tracing" photos and orientation.

The upgrade issue isn't something we've seen, but it could relate to the way the app is being updated by the store.

ArtRage paintings on the iPad are all stored in the shared file space, so you can back them up by syncing your iPad and using the 'File Sharing' option under the 'Apps' tab in your iPad's section in iTunes. Files can all be dragged out of there to the desktop to make backups.

The unsaved painting reappearing isn't a bug. When you close then restart the app, the last painting you worked on will be displayed. If you selected 'Don't Save, go to Gallery', the painting you were working on is still the last active item, so when you restart the app it will be visible, but changes you made before opting not to save won't be in there. This relates to how the iPad handles the application closing without requiring the file to be saved specifically, and it will generally give you quick access to the last item you were painting when you closed.

Regarding orientation: The paintings are set at an absolute orientation, and rotating the device leaves the canvas static so that you can use the forum factor of the hardware to manipulate the angle rather than needing to do it on screen. Currently, the orientation when the painting opens will be locked to the default device orientation, with the only exception being that landscape paintings will always orient to a landscape axis, and portrait to a portrait axis. Tracing image orientation is something we will be look at in an update.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response on this. I don't understand the missing paintings either and agree it shouldn't happen. I'm not concerned about my lost work as I was just playing around anyway, but it's concerning if the appstore is causing this in some way.

Maybe I'm alone on the painting being saved and loaded when you no longer want it. I understand why you would want to do that. And it would work well to protect paintings you want to keep. But if you deliberately are deleting a painting it will show back up upon closing and opening that doesn't make sense to me. It gives me more steps before I can actually start painting. I think it makes more sense when opening the app, if a painting was open before the closing, you open. If you closed the app on the gallery, it should open on the gallery. Just my 2 cents on design and flow of an app.

I understand about the painting orientation now and it makes sense.

Lastly, the tracing orientation I can continue to reproduce. I've tried a number of workarounds like creating new paintings with orientation locked and without, then loading a tracing. I can't find a way to get it to work properly. I don't always trace images, but it's sometimes helpful to get an accurate sketch.

Thanks for your work on this. I hope these things improve because this is a stellar app for painting.

I just wanted to update that I might have found a workaround for the tracing image orientation issue.

When creating a new painting, by loading from image I get the right orientation. This opens the image into the first layer. I then loaded the same image with the tracing option and for some reason it loads the tracing orientation properly. I add a new empty layer and deleted the original photo layer. Then I can work with the image tracing like normal.

The workaround makes sense and should work fine. Tracing images are loaded to match the orientation of the canvas. If you create a canvas by importing an image, the aspect is set to that of the image and the tracing image will load to match. We're going to look at being able to have more control over tracing images in an update to make orientation easier.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I had the disappearing painting problem too after the update. I had an empty space where it should be along with the title at the bottom, but no image. A reboot solved the issue, but it made me a little nervous.

I'm a "save many iterations of a single painting so I can see my progression" kind of guy, so it wouldn't have been a tragic loss for me personally, but anally backing up one's work is the way to go. I also find it's good practice to export your painting as a photo or to email via the app to have an (albeit flattened layer) backup. Can you tell I've had hard disk failures in the past?

I have also had a few orientation peculiarities. I thought it was related to the way ArtRage handles rotating (ie, keeping the canvas static while the interface rotates) but I am not sure. I first noticed the problem when using a two-fingered tap to return zoom to 100%. I got the zoom -- and a 180degree rotation. It has happened twice more since then, with different images, but I have not been able to figure out exactly what sequence of actions leads to this behavior. As soon as I can figure it out, and make it replicable, I'll report it.

Other than that -- the update is brilliant. I just deleted every other art program (except Zen Brush, cause it's fun) from my iPad. AR has rendered them unecessary. And I have had NO crashes, and I've tried to push the app hard.

I just with the iPad was faster.....
    "Your life is your practice." -- Maezumi Roshi