ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestion/feature request

suggestion/feature request

I'm really liking ArtRage for iPad so far. I haven't used anything else since it came out.

Request:
    I would really like the ability to have larger brush sizes, especially watercolor. When painting real, I frequently use a 4 inch brush on watercolor paper

Suggestion:
    When I apply a watercolor stroke in ArtRage (size:100%, thinner: 0%) is produces a different stroke based on whether the paper is wet/dry. This is good. After that initial stroke, if I turn the thinner to 100% and stroke again, it almost works as an eraser, instead of brushing the color around like you would expect from real watercolors. I would suggest that when 100% thinned, it wouldn't erase the color, but thin it down and push color around. You could never get back to clean white paper with real watercolors. It seems the "eraser" tolerance for a thinned brush is too high.

Suggestion:
    Increased performance. I know the nature of the app requires a lot of calculations, but it really needs to be faster. Somehow

Suggestion:
    A button that automatically shrinks/stretches my painting to fit the screen. It's rather slow to use the pinch when doing this frequently. I zoom in a lot lot and then back out, it would be amazing to have a shortcut for that.

Otherwise, great job. I'm looking forward to increased performance.

Edited to add another suggestion.
    Last edited by cmenice; 10-06-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for regarding automatic painting sizing, but if you make a two finger tap on your painting, it will snap back to full screen.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that was what I was looking for to snap back to full screen. Though, I want to note that when I tried this, it didn't quite work. Part of the painting was cut off from visible on the screen. So it didn't quite "fit to screen" for some reason.

I wondered if this had to do with the canvas size being different than the iPad screen resolution, but I checked the canvas size and it says 1024 x 768. Not sure what's happening with this.

Is the painting partially covered by the upper and lower status bar on the iPad? If so, a three finger tap retracts both of these, so a 1024 x 768 image should be displayed at 1:1 with no hidden parts ( the corner tool picker and colour picker roundels will still show ).

If that's not the case, can you give me a rough idea of which parts of the painting are missing? e.g. iPad is in portrait orientation, a small section of the painting is off the screen on all sides.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Zoom Suggestion

It is amazing to see my favourite paint software available, and so well implemented, on the iPad. Great work!!
    As a stylus user, it would be very useful for workflow if I were able to zoom in on areas of interest on my painting by a double tap - then return to screen size also by tapping with the stylus. I have used this method of zoom on other paint apps and found it to be a great feature. Possible for ArtRage? Thanks.

Unfortunately if we process double tap to zoom we would have to slow down the processing of single taps (single tap 'dots' would have to wait to see if there was another tap coming before being applied), so we probably won't implement that method, but we might add more navigation options in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your reasoning re the double tap. Would it then be possible/ acceptable to include the double tap to zoom as a preference that could be used if desired?

To follow up my previous post, could the navigation tools - canvas zoom and canvas positioner - be implemented as seen in the desktop version of ArtRage Pro??

Feature please

More Zoom. 800 is nice but 1800 or 2800 would be so much better. Let me see into the eyes I want to paint. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

request : Usable interaction

The lag as you watch the paint stroke getting drawn is painful and makes this ap unusable.

Cut corners to achieve real time so I can actually use the $6.99 I paid for it.
    Last edited by daslolo; 11-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.