ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Gypsy - Portrait # 7

Sea Gypsy - Portrait # 7

Hi,
    This painting is my portrait attempt # 7. Used reference picture. I picked this one because I need to work on different skin ton and different hairdo.

This is a portrait of a young Sea Gypsy/Moken girl in Adaman Sea in SE Asia, this people are sea nomads and most of them who should be a citizen of a country but not. My first encounter with this nice people was at Phuket, Thailand in the year 2004 and on December in 2004, Tsunami hit there and the whole Moken villages around there got wiped out. The most interesting thing is, the villages were wiped out but no casualties in the population of the Sea Gypsies of Moken people. I understand that they followed the elders’ teachings to the letter and knew the natural signs of the sea and took care of themselves.

They did try to get help from the Thai government after the Tsunami but got denied due to non citizenship. The King of Thailand finally intervened for these people had been on islands belonging to Thailand for generations and they finally got help. The Thais call them “Chao Ley” meaning sea people. I don’t know any further information.

It is a fascinating thing to me that a group of people can live on moving from island to island, simply fascinating. Most of these people look Arabic to me but how could I judge?

It is done in oil, knife, airbrush and kinky hair sticker spray.

Any advice and comment is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Gypsy Child, Portait # 7.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	48874  

A map of Adman Sea, most beautiful sea I have ever seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This portrait show a beautiful girl from a people with a quite unique lifestyle. I really wonder what theyěir story may be. Quite interesting.
    Trades routes with Arabian empires as well as islamic commercial-religious missionaries may have well moved people to Eastern Asia region several centuries ago, as You guessed.
    Anyway it looks like the King of Thailand has much to do with various ethnical minorities in and all around. I just hope that Thai people and its government share and concur to His Majesty humanitarian efforts without too many bureaucratic and legal considerations on citizenship or else in front of such big tragedies ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Beautiful pinting, great job.

An expressive face and well painted Jasmine, also thanks for the story that goes with the painting
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks so much to all of you for kinds comments. Happy painting.

Yeah, the pretty girls are in every race and culture, you are documenting it with this picture. Lucky ones, they won the gorgeous climate and i wish them all more happiness and piece... nice picture, Jasmine and the story going with it.

Thanks to you AT-TA, this world is full of beautiful things, it just depends on us to see them I am sure.

Thanks again.