ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution of Output

Resolution of Output

Hi, there!

I'm loving ArtRage on the iPad in many ways even more than on my Mac. The only downside is the resolution being limited to the iPad screen resolution. Is there any way to either allow for a larger canvas on the iPad -- something approaching print resolutions -- or failing that, implementing some sort of playback utility similar to that which is available for Brushes? The playback utility allows for the re-creation of the painting, stroke by stroke, in vastly higher resolution.

Addressing the need for print viable resolution would make this the only painting app I would use on my iPad.

Congrats on a stellar version 1 release!

There is a workaround for the current fixed resolution and we might look at expanding it in the future depending on how memory goes. Basically, ArtRage for iPad supports canvas up to 1400 x 1400 in size. If you create a PTG on your desktop computer that's that size and add it to the shared file space, you can then load it on the iPad and save it out as a copy to create new ones. You can also import photos of 1400 x 1400 and have those come in at that resolution.

The main reason for limiting at this point was the amount of memory required as canvases get larger, but there are certainly things we can look at in the future to expand on the current setup.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

There is also stand alone software to help this issue, (Blow Up, Genuine Fractals) desktop AR does a pretty good job and so does Photoshop. I have printed up to 11 x 14 without doing a thing and they look GREAT!
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Thanks for the quick response. 1400x1400 is better, though the workaround is a bit onerous. (In my own case, I have ArtRage installed on my MacBook pro, but the MacMini is what I sync my iPad and iPhone to, so there's yet another step of transferring the .ptg file to the MacMini.) I'll look at creating a photo in PhotoGene of 1400x1400 and seeing how that works out.

I also understand the limitations of memory on the iPad and can certainly see your reasoning behind weighing performance against canvas size.

SuziQ, thanks also for the comments on blowing up images; I'm aware of Genuine Fractals, and you're right -- it does a phenomenal job of enlarging bitmapped images. Unfortunately, it's pretty darned expensive. And while Photoshop is good at enlarging images, there's nothing like an image in native resolution when producing fine-art prints.

The recording of every stroke and then playing it back at a higher resolution solution deployed by Brushes and the Brushes viewer application is as near to a perfect answer to this problem. I see that ArtRage has a very large undo capability, so the software is already recording steps. Matt, I take it this is not an approach you're interested in exploring?

Thanks, again, for a really fun and creative app.

The undo buffer isn't quite the right tool for the job of recording in ArtRage.

For applications that put a line of color down when you paint, recording a script then enlarging is easy, because you're just applying a simple process to each pixel as you go and that can be replicated at larger sizes.

In ArtRage, each point along the rendered stroke is interacting with the color, volume, wetness, and reflectivity of other paint beneath as well as applying its own, along with the textured surface of the canvas, so we'd have to re-construct the interaction of the different media types at larger scale.

So while in a 'place color' app the tool knows the target color of each pixel before you start, in ArtRage the eventual color that exists at any point in the stroke could be affected by a number of complex properties of previously applied colors. If you repeat this multiple times as you build up a painting, a single pixel of the canvas might go through hundreds of these events and over time any errors in the reconstruction due to scaling up the media interactions would compound and you might end up with a lovely portrait with a green line through the face. This is not always a bad thing, but if it's not predictable (or differs the next time you do it) it would get annoying quickly.

It's not impossible, and we have done a bit of research in to it, but it's not a feature we're ready to commit to yet because the system is pretty complex and there are bound to be some surprises along the way.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Cool. Thanks for taking the time to explain the issues to me. I really have to give it to your company that you're tremendously responsive! I look forward to whatever enhancements may come along.

Thanks again for such an excellent piece of software (two, actually -- the iPad version and the good old desktop version!).

Thanks for the detailed response on the subject, this was something I've been interested in as well. If you're able to pull it off, it would be a nice feature to add to the desktop pro version (nudge, wink!)

1400x1400 please?

Hi

Would anyone be able to post a 1400x1400 blank canvas on here for me to download?

I don't have a computer to make one on... Just my iPad!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henryoakley View Post

Would anyone be able to post a 1400x1400 blank canvas on here for me to download?

I don't have an iPad, so I'm not very familiar with the types of canvases you have, or the settings that are available to iPad users. This in mind, I just used the Cell preset and made the canvas size 1400x1400. I made two files, one uses 300 dpi and the other 72 dpi (again, because I'm not sure what you're allowed to use/change). The ArtRage forums do not allow for .ptg attachments, so I uploaded them to Mediafire. You can download the files from the following pages (you'll need to click on the "Click here to start download", link to start the download):

1400x1400_72dpi

1400x1400_300dpi.ptg
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

You don't need anything but your iPad.

You can choose canvas sizes up to 1440 x 1440 on the iPad itself.

Choose new canvas and tap on the width and height values to change them manually from the defaults of 768 x 1024.