ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Suggestion for Pencil/Sketching

Lightbulb Suggestion for Pencil/Sketching

ArtRage has the best sketching tools I have seen so far in any app...it actually look like a pencil line!

My only suggestion would be a tool that you could actually smudge the pencil line with, to create and build up shades. Also, a "moleskine" preset on the paper options or the ability to save custom paper presets would be great!

Thanks for a good 1st version, looking forward to less lagging/less crashes. Thanks!

Glad you're enjoying the application!

We're actually working on an update that we will be submitting shortly to assist with the crash problem that has been reported. More on that as news breaks...

We're considering custom canvas presets for a future revision, and it's possible that you could use the Palette Knife for smudging the pencil. When the knife encounters dry media it smudges rather than smearing, and that may give the effect you're looking for (the wet blender may work well for that). We're always looking for new ways to get natural tools in there though so we'll consider a finger smudge type option in the future.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I believe this is what he meant.

pencil blending demonstration-2.jpg

SCAN0146.jpg

Because photoshop's smudge tool blends transparent pixels, it blends more like a real tortillon

pencil blending demonstration-5.jpg

pencil blending demonstration-3.jpg

if this feature is included in the next update to artrage, Other features would also have to be added to artrage's palette knife tool.

pencil blending demonstration-4.jpg

The images below make no sense. Please click on the links above to view the images in chronological order.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil blending demonstration-2.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	51854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0146.jpg 
Views:	2729 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	51855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil blending demonstration-5.jpg 
Views:	1770 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	51856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil blending demonstration-4.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	51858  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nayrb; 01-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Try using the wet blender, blur and smudge options on the palette knife.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

The wet blender in artrage works quite well, but because the tool constantly sprays water like an airbrush, it lags severely. It would be great if I could disable the autoflow feature for the wet blender like I can with the airbrush tool.

Note: Because the soft blender does not react with paper grain, it usually smooths pencil marks too much.

Thank you for your reply.
    Last edited by nayrb; 01-14-2011 at 09:10 AM.

The wet blender doesn't actually autoflow, the speed issue is because it's doing a smear distortion on multiple layers of data at once (colour, texture, wetness and others). It's a very processor intensive effect so it's slower than the other blend types.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for the reply. I'll use the wet blender for now.