ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of suggestions for iPad version of Artrage

Couple of suggestions for iPad version of Artrage

I have a couple suggestions after having used it for a few hours(I am sure I will have more after more use).

- I think implementing tapping in the upper corners for undo and redo would be helpfull. I know it is on the menu bar but I like to work without the menu bar visible and this would allow fast access to an often used action.

- I can not find an easy way to use "eyedropper" tool. A quick easy selection by keeping your finger held on a color would be great.

- Color swatches would really help

- I like the two bottom corners being always there but I think having the tools properties in the bottom left corner would be more helpful than the tool selection. I change properties more often than I change tools. This would be less needed if you made brush size easier. The three finger gesture is not the most easy way.

- Improving the lag would be helpfull I assume this will improve in future versions but I felt it necessary to mention.

- *** VERY IMPORTANT *** Having a dry brush would be great for blending. I know there is the pallete knife but a dry brush would be better. I tried turning the loading and thinner to 0 but that caused the brush to paint black

Hi Edimus

Undo/Redo are 3 finger drags left or right.

Put finger on Palette and slide finger to where the wanted color is on the picture, to pick up color.

Dry brush sounds like bad news. I use that a lot. I'll give it a try when my wife has stopped playing Sudoku!

Phil
    Last edited by Aged P; 09-30-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Undo and re do are 3 finger swipe left... right. The eye dropper ... Press and hold color pod and then drag off to the color you want. I'm not crazy about this either as it makes you go to the right corner all the time but at least it's there. I really want press and hold like all other apps.

You can build your own color swatches last icon on the right.

I have now gotten used to the 3 finger brush resize and wish others would use it LOL! And Love the idea of a dry brush too. Hope some of this helps you.

Ooops Phil and I posted at the same time
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Thanks for the suggestions! Another shortcut you can use when adding colour swatches, is to drag the currently selected colour ( bottom right corner of the colour picker ) down on to the colour samples icon just beneath. When you open your colour samples, the colour will have been added to the list.

I can reproduce the dry brush problem here, we'll look into that. Thank you for letting us know!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quick update to this. We've just fixed the drybrush problem internally and it will be in the first update which we're working on now.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Indicate brush/tool in use

Sometimes I work on more than one piece at a time... When I reopen a piece, brilliantly the last tool used is selected.... But NOT the exact preset is highlighted, when I open all the pencil variants, it would be cool if the one I was using would be highlighted... Desktop version too.....

Still loving it. Thanks
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

i would love the press and hold colour selection eyedropper also. the bottom corner hold and drag to canvas works, but slows down the workflow a bit.

Also I have to say I am utterly blown away by the first release!! Just incredible. I had heard rumblings of an art rage app coming to ipad, but didn't fathom it would be so close to on par with the desktop app. Surprised, delighted, and thankful to you guys on such a great release...blew me away

The comment on presets raises an interesting question in relation to ArtRage. Currently, the app remembers which preset was last selected and leaves it highlighted until you change settings. So if you select a Dry Brush, then change settings, the Dry Brush preset is unlit because it's no longer active.

However, tool size is considered to be a setting, because size is stored with presets. So changing tool size unlights the selected preset. This is because your settings no longer match those applied by the preset selection, and clicking it again will change your tool properties, something you wouldn't expect if it was lit up. Removing tool size from presets means never being able to store exactly the tool you are using, so we're not keen on that option.

There are various deep-ish design reasons for the way this works but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed if it's causing confusion or inconvenience. We're looking at this currently and we'll consider potential changes for the future if it makes things easier to use!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Another good update to artrage ipad edition would be support for ten one design's pressure sensitivity.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTcyjzXfTg
    Last edited by nayrb; 01-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.

We've discussed the possibility of supporting the pressure system and there are a couple of reasons it's not currently implemented, we hope to hear more in the future.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.