ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum possible resolution?

Maximum possible resolution?

I'd like to know what the maximum possible resolution of ArtRage is.

I'm trying to create a canvas of 300dpi at 27x41 inches (8100x12300 pixels), and it doesn't seem to be working (anything above 200dpi, actually).

I get the following error message:
    A required object could not be created, the operation cannot be completed. You may need to restart the application.

Generally the cap is based on memory available on your system, there is no hard coded maximum that I can think of. For example, on my workstation here I can create a 9000 by 9000 document around the upper limit. Additional layers will raise the memory requirement due to the additional data which needs to be stored.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

This is why my next computer will have a terabyte workspace.

ArtRage is also a 32 bit application ( while we're looking into the possibility of a 64 bit version ), so won't be able to address additional memory above about 3 GB or so. Available memory can be reduced depending on the number / requirements of other applications running at the time.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

64bit version would be cool..

maximum res

this is also my problem...i would like to buy artrage pro...
    but nobody can answer to my question...
    ok, again Maximum possible resolution? in artrage pro????

for example 8000 x 8000 pixel 300 DPi
    is that possible???

hey admin Dave????

thanks

Hey,

I think that Dave have ansered your question:
    "For example, on my workstation here I can create a 9000 by 9000 document around the upper limit"

I don't know what the maximum is but I just tested the file you ask
    8000x8000 px at 300Dpi with no problems

my pc:
    Acer aspire M3640
    Intel pentium dual core E2200
    2.20 Ghz with 3 GB Ram

Hope this help

cworld - I have 4 GB RAM on my system and can create a 9000 by 9000 image at around the upper limit. While there have been a few changes in the way we handle memory to make things more efficient, ArtRage 2 has a similar maximum filesize. As the ArtRage 2 Starter Edition doesn't have a size limitation as part of its demo limitations, you could download it from our demo page at www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html and install it on your computer. This would enable you to get an idea of what sort of size of file is possible for you, as well as how size will affect performance for tools. I hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

8000 x8000 px

I just made an 8000 x8000 px canvas at 300 dpi on an iMac with 4gb ram. I have 13 applications currently running. In inches that's 26.6" square. I suspect it would run slowly. Anyway, there's no definite number for largest size, it depends on your system.

Maybe there's a work around. Maybe work at 150 dpi, and "res-up" in an image editor. I don't know if the difference would be visible unless you're trying to reproduce very delicate line work. To me there seems to be some "wiggle room" when you're working with paint or crayon or chalk, or watercolor, and moving pigment around with the knife tool.

thanks

thanks for reply guys...I think that helps.

cworld