ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: dpi question?

dpi question?

Hi
    using wacom bamboo and basic AR prog I was attempting to do a painting at 21cm x 21cm fine at 72dpi but thought I would try to increase the dpi to 300.......hmmmmm........please help!

so it left me with a humungous canvas size that I couldnt possibly work with and when I did shrink it to a decent 30% for working the tools were still working at the humungous size.....sorry im really new to this and am attempting to learn digital artwork so please dont laugh is it possible to get the tools to work at their full capacity when a canvas size is decreased? is it possible to do a painting at 300dpi and rescale it somehow?

I have managed to do a painting at the progs default size setting at 300dpi and it worked fine but I need to do a specific size for this painting from the get go, is it a question of doing the painting and THEN resizing it somehow.....oh im terribly confused!

I hope someone can help.....apologies greatly for the rubbish description of my prob!!!

blessings
    LZ

from the File menu > select new painting
    click on Print Size button
    where it says Measure in: click on the additional menu button that looks like a little paragraph or lines
    change the Measure in: inches to Measure in: cm
    type your desired size in centimeters in the width and height windows
    next type in the ppi that you want your image to be
    notice that there is a line telling you your new Screen Size in pixels (px)

if you should need larger size brushes> for a shortcut just hold down your
    shift key click and drag the tool on your canvas as if painting...and it will change sizes of the brush or other tool and show the new size in the tool display window.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 09-24-2010 at 10:53 PM.

im really grateful for your reply and help

alas I dont think I have the same AR prog as you, mine is only the basic free AR2....still produces some uber impressive artwork tho

still fiddling with my bits and hoping to find an answer to my prob.......

ah, I did not know that was not available in the free version. sorry. I tried.

When you increase the DPI value in the Rescale panel, your painting will get bigger if your units are set to anything other than pixels. If you have asked ArtRage to make the painting 21 x 21cm but tripled the dots per inch, your painting will scale up to just over 300% of its original size.

There is no way to make the DPI setting larger without the painting expanding in this manner, increasing DPI requires more information in the painting (so it expands in size on the screen).

If you just want to make the canvas bigger, without changing the size of stuff you have already painted on it, use the 'Resize the Canvas' option. This will change the size of your canvas without changing the size of its contents.

Zooming out of the canvas to 30% doesn't change the size of your painting, it's like stepping back from the easel so the canvas is smaller in your field of view, the painting tools retain their size relative to the actual size of the canvas not the current zoom level.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

gzairborne....bless your heart your help was much appreciated!

Thank you very much Matt, im still very very confused by this, prob is im a freelance illustrator, im suffering from RSI ( repetitive strain injury ) and need to do work digitally as I can work relatively pain free using my tablet as opposed to trad artwork methods, I much prefer using AR anyway its such a fantastic prog im commissioned to illustrate a book including double page spreads, dimensions of the book are 21cms x 21 cms and I need to work at 300 dpi for print purposes, will I need to buy the studio pro version of AR to attempt this? im not entirely sure if I can find a way to do it on my AR2, if I do my illustrations at the default setting at 300dpi it is fine, is it a case of doing the illos at 300 dpi at default and then changing the canvas size? will that not distort the artwork? I keep trying different ways to do it but no luck thus far....sorry!!! so many questions!
    many thanks!
    LedZepLady

ArtRage 2 can work at the size you need, you don't need to switch to Studio.

Basically, your image is made up of pixels (tiny dots on the screen), and the 'dpi' value tells the printer how many of those pixels it should cram in to an inch of paper. So if you have an image that is 300 pixels wide, and a dpi value of 300, the image will print at 1 inch wide.

If you created your image as 21cm x 21cm at 72dpi (72 is the default for the screen) you will have an image that is about 595 x 595 pixels in size.

If you go and change just the dpi value to 300, your image will be printed at just under 2 inches in size. The size on screen is the same (the screen always displays at 72dpi) but when you print, the printer has been told to cram your 595 pixels at the rate of 300 per inch.

So if you want your original 21x21x72 image to print out at 21cm with 300 pixels per inch, you need to increase the number of pixels in the image. 21cm x 21cm x 300dpi is 2480 x 2480 pixels.

Increasing the number of pixels in the image will reduce the quality of the image - The software has to try and work out what your 595 pixels will look like if they are spread out to fill the target space so it needs to fill in the gaps. The scaled up version will never look as good as the original.

If you absolutely have to do this, go to the 'rescale the painting' option in the Edit menu. Make sure the units listed to the right of width and height are centimeters, set the dpi value to 300 and click OK. That will stretch out your canvas to fill the space you have requested. It probably won't look as good as the original though, due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Your best bet is to create your images at the size you want them printed, if you're working to print specifications.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

most grateful for your very concise post Matt....thanks.....it IS become clearer but takes some getting used to....