ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage color management frustration

Question ArtRage color management frustration

Hi,

Can ArtRage please have color management?

I truly love ArtRage. It made it possible to jump right into digital art without having to spend hours tweaking brushes or figuring out simple things.

That being said, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of color management. I use ArtRage on my Fujitsu T5010 tablet, which has a much narrower gamut of colors than my external 24" display. I can pick a nice cerulean blue on my tablet, and it will look like indigo on my large display! Since that fiasco, both displays have been calibrated and profiled to fairly standard values with a colorimeter, and Windows 7 is set up to use the profiles for each separate display.

So when I draw cerulean in ArtRage on my tablet and then export the image file, it'll look like indigo. At least the exported image looks like about the same indigo on both monitors now that both are calibrated.

If I want it to look like it did in ArtRage, I have to go open the exported file in GIMP and assign it the color profile of the display I drew the picture on.

Is this really what it takes? Isn't there an easier way to be able to ensure the color I'm choosing in ArtRage is going to look as close as hardware allows outside of ArtRage and on other properly color managed displays? Trying to change the colors halfway through a painting is no fun.

And I'm not even talking about printing yet...

I really don't want to go back to Photoshop since I felt terribly uncreative in it, but this is getting frustrating. What do the rest of you do to keep your colors the way you want them?

sacrificing a chicken in the predawn hours seems to help a lot.

Gah!

I'm still struggling... I've since discovered, as if I needed any more of this, that my graphics driver keeps wanting to unload my LUTs. If I keep the LUTs loaded properly, ArtRage now looks almost identical on both monitors, but making it stay that way in other programs or on my own browser (let alone anyone else's) is ridiculously hard. Really, the way I try different settings these days is more magic than science.

I was pretty freaked out when I first looked at my pics on a pc. They looked good on my mac. wow. what a dramatic difference... so I understand. There are probably some threads around on color viewing on different monitors... I am sure it has been discussed previously. Will let you know if I find any good color sync threads.

I have an additional Cinema Display connected to my iMac and the colour difference when dragging the same window from one monitor to the other is very noticeable.

The iMac monitor is calibrated to make digital photos really pop on screen. They are not set to be colour true for printing, to do this you need a "spider" and this will calibrate the monitor.

PCs also need this, but I doubt they are set to enhance the look of digital photos, so it may be less noticeable.

You can play in
    System Preferences > Displays > Colour > Calibrate
    to change this.

There are other standard profiles in the list you can try too.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3pro.php#

I have an Eye-One Display 2, which does that. Doesn't calibrate printers, but makes my two monitors look the same. The problem, though, is that now, the un-color-managed ArtRage looks the same on both monitors, but I haven't figured out what I can do to preserve the unmanaged colors through embedded profiles or other settings to be consistent in color-managed environments.

In order to keep the color space when loading a image file created in a non-color managed app (Artrage), you have to assign the display ICC profile to the image file.
    In photoshop, it's the menu entry "Assign profile".
    Browse to the monitor display profile, and the image will look exactly the same as it looked in artrage. Now you can convert it to sRGB, or whatever with "Convert profile" and it will stay the same in every color managed app.

If you don't have a Spyder calibration device and don't want color shifts between unmanaged and color managed apps, you can just use the default sRGB ICC profile for the monitor.
    Dont use the manufacturers ICC display profile in the windows monitor color settings, this will only make things worse. This profiles are totally off, and you get all the drawbacks of a color managed workflow (wrong colors between different applications).

So either: Get a Spyder calibration device and use the Spyder ICC profile. Convert all untagged images to the right color space, as described in the previous post. This is the best solution for printing or exchanging files with other people, because it's proofed.

Or: Use sRGB and skip all problems with color shifts between applications, all will be fine (but uncalibrated, may look different when printed).

@plastic : if I get it right, ok, - if I set cRGB as my default profile in Windows, ArtRage will use it?

(I'm having quite the difference between my Monitor RGB and cRGB. I will try to get a sensor and calibrate my monitor, but it may take time. (and money))

edit: I can confirm that setting sRGB as my default profile made my images look the same in all applications. God knows how it'll look printed, but at least there isn't any shift in between applications.
    Last edited by JanPospisil; 11-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.