Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: In the Shelter of a Barn and new one.

I made some changes. I hope that this one is looking better. I liked your directions with the ruler and light Scott, and I hope I did this correctly. I also changed the barn a bit. I used a barn from my watercolor book as a reference, but tweaked it a bit here and there to make it mine. I think it is a bit crooked though on the bottom right corner-that is easily corrected. I added the smoke in the chimney as Jono had suggested. I didn't add the footprints as I thought maybe I would give it a fresh snow look.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It seem to work pretty well now, dear Sandra!
    Now probably it's just a matter of some fine tuning experiment which could slightly enhance it furtherly. For istance the shadows, although faint, should look darker near the object that casts them and then fade away in the distance, thus, also passing from the tree trunks to the relevant shadow, that area should look less neatly defined as boundary, I think .....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

This should really top it off Cesare-very interesting. Something I have never noticed in a painting before.
    I will work on this point along with the corner that is bothering me. The door too needs work. Thanks so much!

Your doing great!

Chin up Dear Sandra,this is looking better all the time,your efforts are paying off.
    The shadows look more in harmony and the smaller tree looks better with it's shadow.
    As Caesar outlined you can use different tones for your shadows as well.
    I think some of your frustration with your barn,is a matter of perspective.Things to ask which perspective will I use 1 point,2 point 3point?
    Then find your vanishing points and use the AR rulers.If your not sure what I mean check HERE
    I can see that's why your having trouble with the Barn door.Just drop me an e-mail if you need more info.

Glad you liked my smiley sun.

Thanks so much Scott, this is so kind of you! And you think there is improvement-well this makes my day! I will keep trying with this one and I will check out your link as well. Again-your time and teaching-is very much appreciated dear friend.

Looks really nice. Very lovely soft and frosty image. Excellently done thus far and everyone is helping so much that I know it will turn out fabulous. We have a really great group of talented folks. Including you!

I dare say there's not much I could add to help here.

I would agree with SCP that your barn is a matter of perspective and I am sure he will be able to help you out with that. I was actually in the process of going back to study the 1, 2, and 3 point perspective lessons that I could find. Always good to refresh the ol brain.

Once that little place there is done...

If I had anything to suggest, it would be to add a bit more to the snow like you have at the corner of the building. I would only work on that after you have the building the way you want it because that will change how the snow reacts. I believe Ceasar was headed in a similar path as myself, when he talked of more detailed shadows using the tones in the lovely sky. Even though the snow has settled, the trees and other various objects in the area would most likely have some drifting occur, which would cause some different types of shading and light in the snow. Based on where your lightsource is of course.

Right now it's still very flat for a mountainous/hilly kind of area, it seems off. (At least to me)

I just randomly pulled these off the mighty web to help illustrate what I mean for the snow. See how the snow settles and makes very slight differences in shadows? Also I am adding another one that has mountains in the background at a distance. I recall you mentioning that you weren't too happy with them.

Hopefully I'm being some help and not just causing frustration.

Keep at it. This is lovely and is already one of my favorites from the Museum of Sandy Art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	48576  

Dear Sandra this is looking great Perhaps a bit darker shadow in the corner with your door on might help.
    Overall this is looking brilliant.
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Looking very good Sandy. It just keeps getting better and better. One thing I will mention is that roots on trees are very rarely visible and they don't point downward... that usually is a preconception we have in our minds. Usually in a scene like this they would surely be covered with snow. Also like Waheed mentioned think of your light source when shading cubes and other things. You took on a huge project to do this without a reference so that makes it doubly hard. Great job though and especially for hanging in for the long haul.

Hey everybody, this is what I have done so far...but I am not finished, and did not get to this section to read your helpful comments before I did it, so it is not finished yet....oh dear-as you have noticed this is not my forte.
    What really appeals to me in landscaping in more of an impressionistic feel-but I have so much more studying to do and practice. I really need books to have beside me as I try to apply these things.
    Magen-I love these photographs-soooo beautiful and your comments will be so much help and encouragement to me. We don't get much snow here, but I remember so much as a child in other places that I have lived-but as you have so kindly written Albert-without a reference and being a beginner it is really difficult. I think this would be a good idea and helpful to find a few more references. I used my watercolor book and tried to use an artists barn-just changing it here and there to make it a little me. I like that Amanda. My door I wish to be a bit more vague-not so cartoony- I will certainly go back to that area-as I love doors-to me the most important feature to a building.
    You all have been so kind, I appreciate your looking and commenting.