Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In the Shelter of a Barn and new one.

Update

Still working with mountains...not happy yet.
    What do you think of this version? I made my barn smaller as to try to improve the perspective a bit.
    I added the trees from the nature stamps area. I thought it needed a bit of a evergreen area back there and the trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dramatic improvement this far I'd say, dear Sandra! Now I would work to finer tune the tonal values (check the range) and shapes to better defining and fuzing the objects.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks Cesare, but can you please explain further-I don't understand and I am here to learn. So sorry-but there is not a duh smilie face I can use.

Looking better Sandra,I would also add to Caesar's feedback ,to check and establish the horizon line.This will make it easier to ground your objects and fix any pespective issues.
    Hope this is of some help?
    Drop me a line any time on anything relating to the PC,I'll do my best to help.

Now I understand Scott, thanks so much to you and Cesare.
    Thanks also for the offer of help with the PC. I appreciate that so much.

From this morning....

I worked more on mountains and the horizon line also the top of the sky I made a deeper shade, blended again with the frosty knife.

I am not really happy with the shading around the middle part of the barn. Any advice there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Sandy (got here at last!). I can see youll be going into xmas card production in the next few months Im afraid I dont really have any advice to offer because I just dont have the knowledge or skill to do a traditional snow scene myself.

There are many things I like about this painting - the log in the frozen pond, the snow capped fence, the trees and their shadows and the sense of quietness. If I were to make one tiny suggestion, it would be to maybe try adding thin whisper of smoke from the chimney. If you did this on a new layer you could then get rid of it again, if it was a useless idea!

Hi again,
    Looking better all the time
    I had some more thoughts that may help(or not lol)
    Sorry about marking over your painting,but might be easier to explain.I agree around the barn is a bit odd,also the barn's perspective is a bit off which makes it harder for you.Also check your shadows,I marked them with red they are going in different directions.To make it easy mark your light source where you want it even if it is off the canvas then pin a ruler there,just as a general guide to help you.Same thing can be done with perspective setup.
    I did a quick paint over of some of the dark sections on the snow and also added some of the beautiful colour you have in the sky to the snow as the snow will reflect this light.I removed some the treeline shadows as they were comming too far forward and you were losing depth.I hope this is of some help? Keep at it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandra's_Barn_01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	48523  

Hi Jono, Thanks so much. I think that is a fine idea, and I will be happy to try this. I will have to add some foot prints in the snow to show that someone is in there too.

Hi Scott, Thanks so much. This is a huge help. I will redo those layers. Should I make the barn smaller still? I will upload the next painting pretty soon. (hey, I like that sun too!)

Thanks guys for your time too!
    Last edited by Alexandra; 09-24-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: addition

Hi Sandy,
    The size of the barn is fine.