ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Feltpen and canvas!?

Feltpen and canvas!?

AT-TA has raised an interesting aspect of the use of feltpen and Misterpaint canvas, i.e. you can not go light on dark ... working with the feltpen.

Our friend, Caesar corroborated this view: "felt pen are marvelous but you can not recover lighter tones, so you should proceed carefully and progressively adding the darker tints."

I wondered why this would occur with the feltpen. So I started experimenting with feltpen (which I use occasionally). Interestingly, it seems not to obey the blending with the knife. I think this Occurs because of the 3D feature of the grains of the canvas. Misterpaint uses not only the feltpen, but also airbrush and knife for its effects in painting.

The isolated use of canvas and feltpen is really different. I think it has to do with the grain of the canvas which is a kind of 3D surface, and therefore not very effective for blending with the knife. Regarding the aspect light on dark, or changes in value and chroma, when using canvas (alone with feltpen), I think that the use of the parameters shown in the figure may prevent other solutions, and then as Caesar said, gradually changing the values and chroma while painting over and over.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Oriane ,
    With marker rendering in the real world one works on an extremely smooth paper usually glossy on one side and matt on the other, making the marks on the glossy side. This minimises the bleed on the markers. We also work from lightest to darkest. Blends are achieved using the markers themselves. So in this sense all the issues you are discovering seem to be related to how well the artrage tool has achieved simulating its real world counterpart.

Having said that, I have no problems working light into dark felt pen with artrage (something which you would avoid doing with real life markers). It may be to do with the fact that if i'm using marker I tend to simulate the sort of paper i'd use in real life and have it as smooth (no grain) as possible. Set the wetness to 100% for nice smooth blending. You may have to lift the stylus up and reapply a few times. With the wetness at 0% you get nice hard edged colour applying.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Juz, I understand the argument. Thanks for the help. In reality the parameters that you put work well for both simple and grainy canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Hi Oriane ,
    With marker rendering in the real world one works on an extremely smooth paper usually glossy on one side and matt on the other, making the marks on the glossy side. This minimises the bleed on the markers. We also work from lightest to darkest. Blends are achieved using the markers themselves. So in this sense all the issues you are discovering seem to be related to how well the artrage tool has achieved simulating its real world counterpart.

Having said that, I have no problems working light into dark felt pen with artrage (something which you would avoid doing with real life markers). It may be to do with the fact that if i'm using marker I tend to simulate the sort of paper i'd use in real life and have it as smooth (no grain) as possible. Set the wetness to 100% for nice smooth blending. You may have to lift the stylus up and reapply a few times. With the wetness at 0% you get nice hard edged colour applying.
    Well, you can use some blenders with the markers when working on a full texture - for example, the wet, frost and smudge blenders do work quite well. But you are right on the other point, if you want the work to look legit - you do have to follow the marker rule of working from light to dark.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Using ArtRage on DeviantArt since 2007.

Thanks Alexandra, you know? The amount of information being published every day is enormous. It is difficult for us to follow. Many times, even, there is repetition of information; OK!!!