ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Import picture into a painting with artrage 2

Import picture into a painting with artrage 2

I've got two versions of one painting and I have a layer from one version that I want to import into the other version. I've tried mucking about a bit and what I now did was to select the layer I wanted, export it as an image, then import it into artrage 2 and saved it as a seperate file. Then I followed the instructions given in this thread: showthread.php?t=2843 (this is my first post so I'm not allowed to post links.)
    However, when I clicked "Fit image inside", the option "Convert image to paint on this layer" doesn't show up in my tools menu.

Does my version not allow me to import an image into an existing painting? If so, is there any other way I can move a layer from one painting to the other? It's kind of annoying, in one version I've painted a hand in detail, and in the other I've got hair in detail. I want to move the hair and not do any of the two over!

So you just want to copy the layer and paste it into the other image file right? Try this:

1. Open the image file with the layer you want moved.
    2. Select the layer you wish to copy.
    3. Hold "Ctrl" and tap your "C" key (Wait a moment for the program to copy the layer).
    4. Go to File > Open Painting and open the file you wish to paste the copied layer.
    5. With the image file open, hold "Ctrl" and tap your "V" key to paste the layer.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

It doesn't seem to work, I'm afraid.

If you have an old version of ArtRage 2, you may not have the options described below, so check that you're using the latest version of ArtRage 2 ( 2.6 ). You can check your version via Help -> About ArtRage.

If don't have the latest version, download it via the Member Area at http://members.artrage.com

You can find instructions on how to do that here:
    http://members.artrage.com/faqs#faq57

Here's how to copy a layer from one document to another in ArtRage 2.6:

Open the source painting. Click on the layer in the layer panel that you wish to copy. Go to the Edit menu in the top menu bar, and click 'Copy Layer to Clipboard'

Now, open your destination painting. Click the layer you want to import the new layer above in the layer panel. Go to the Edit menu in the top menu bar and click 'Paste Clipboard to new layer'. If you're happy with the positioning, click OK. All of the contents of the original layer are pasted into the destination painting as a new layer.

This is better than exporting a layer as an image, then importing it, because standard image formats don't know about things like paint thickness, wetness and so on. This extra information is preserved when you copy from one document to another as above.

I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Ah great, thanks! I'll need to register later though because I left the disc and the product key at my mom's house and am now somewhere else Thanks for the tip!