ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: help lost work

help lost work

help after working on two Princesse's for about 2to 3 hours the screen went blank then came back on just like if I was starting the computer going back to artrage there was noththing clicking back on the recent bit igot the two princesse's but the work i had done had gone has it gone
    into the blue yonder and i should forget it or is it knocking around somewhere ????? ok thanks for comment

That sounds very odd. If there was a crash and you're on Windows, or if the computer reset itself, ArtRage would have attempted to save a file containing your work. If you locate your ArtRage application data folder, you may be able to find it.

The quickest way to locate this folder is to open up ArtRage and go to the Tools menu where you can select 'Open User Content Folder' from 'User Contents' sub menu. That opens up the main user content folder and if you navigate one folder up from there (press the Backspace key on your keyboard) you should see the main Application Data folder for ArtRage.

If there is a file in there called 'ARRestart.ptg', copy that to your desktop, rename it and try opening it. It will contain the last recovered file ArtRage managed to save.

Unfortunately, if there's no file there then it sounds like the data has gone.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

thanks Matt but it is to complicated for a oldie not all the good on computer Tec; bound to make a cock-up so I'll let it float in the blue Yonder thank again regards E+ -------E/S

I just lost work of two hours because windows shut everything down after an update. I had postponed the restart one time. Then suddenly the computer shut off and restarted. No arrestart.ptg was saved by artrage. There should be at least an auto saving for such cases. Also, If saving wouldn`t take 5 minutes to save a 4100x3300 pixels file with 300 dpi, it would be easier to save manually more often.
    (I have no problem with long saving times in other programs).
    Last edited by wschweizer; 01-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Other applications are generally working with a lot less data than ArtRage files (which are tracking more than just colour on a flat surface), this would probably explain why saving takes longer.

The application has been written to automatically save if the operating system shuts down. However, it sounds like you had a problem with your update if the computer shut itself down suddenly, and that may have prevented the standard auto-save system working.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

same thing happened to someone else lately with windows updates, he told me today. It just shuts your computer down, if you want it or not.
    I will just save more often now, even if it takes a certain time.
    In general I have to say artrage is a great program, and not even the more expensive ones simulate real painting in a better way than artrage.

Quote Originally Posted by wschweizer View Post
    same thing happened to someone else lately with windows updates, he told me today. It just shuts your computer down, if you want it or not.
    I will just save more often now, even if it takes a certain time.
    In general I have to say artrage is a great program, and not even the more expensive ones simulate real painting in a better way than artrage.

You can set windows update to NOT do automatic updates. It then asks you if you want to download and install the updates. Simple.

Cheers

Doug

It (Windws update) just shuts your computer down, if you want it or not.
    This is not entirely true. Windows update never shots any computers down, unless you switch to manual procedure. Just ignore any systray messages about available updates. They will be installed automatic when you are done with your computer work (by shut down). If you click on message icon and switch to manual install of update you must restart your computer then. If you do not do that, windows will do it for you after some time without your activity.

my settings were "download and install updates automatically", and it DID shut my computer down suddenly, while I was in the middle of working on a painting. After the automatic restart artrage was opened again automatically, but the painting was completely gone.
    I changed the settings now to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them". Thanks to Doug for the hint.

Quote Originally Posted by wschweizer View Post
    my settings were "download and install updates automatically", and it DID shut my computer down suddenly, while I was in the middle of working on a painting. After the automatic restart artrage was opened again automatically, but the painting was completely gone.
    I changed the settings now to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them". Thanks to Doug for the hint.

No problem, glad it helped! :-)

Cheers

Doug