ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hair Help!!

Hair Help!!

I'm posting this very rough draft of my latest sketch because I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. I think my bodies are okay, they could too probably use improvement, but what I want specific help is for drawing hair!

I think I'm going too high or too thin, I'm not really sure where to begin. Can anybody give me some tips?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RolePlaying Group.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	48111  

Hi. What you have so far is pretty good. Getting the bodies positioned right is part of the process. You may want to consider adding a bit of a horizon line or some of the background to get a better idea of how they would look positioned in a real setting.

Anime is very dramatic, the proportions are exaggerated on every part of the body. Hair, eyes, breasts, head and (sometimes) feet and legs (think chibi)are generally large and wild looking while things like lips, hips, toes, and waists are overly small.

All of it is much like the eyes. Which you have down really well. You've got the overly large eyes, with the pupil and iris and that tell tale anime shiny thing in the eye. (There's probably a term for it, but I call it anime shiny thing. lol)

The lines in anime are precise lines. The colors generally do not blend. To accomplish a more 3D like effect... anime artists will use two or three shades of the same color rather than blending them. If doing a black and white sketch, I would consider shades of gray to get the same effect. This differs from regular sketches and some American cartoons because the shading is blended together so they flow seamlessly from highlight to shadow and you typically don't see as precise shading lines.

I think what you're missing right now with your hair issues is the lack of detail in the hair. When you add those details you will get more of what it is I think you want to accomplish. Be sure to use a reference to help you out. If your characters are your own, they may still benefit from pieces of other anime styles that you like. Then you could adapt it and make it your own.

I attached a good example and one of my own attempts (made with real paper and markers) the character belongs to Kubo Tite, but she is one of my favorites. I'm still practicing to be honest. One day I hope to make my own manga-like story, but not until I can fully perfect my anime drawing skills.

Keep working. You're off to a good start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animething.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	48116  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MJSparks; 09-09-2010 at 12:23 PM.

3. Manga is notoriously difficult because it has such a set look to it that if you get it even slightly wrong, it doesn't look right. What MagenSparks has said is some really good advice and will set you on the right path for the style. Knowing and understanding what makes Manga, Manga is very important.

I think it is also very important that you do some real anatomy sketches and learn to draw from what you see. Once you have the skills in this department, drawing anime will become a lot easier. So many people dive straight into drawing Manga who have never really drawn before and get disheartened because they can't get it right.

So, I think, if you make a serious commitment to mastering Manga, I think gaining some real draftmenship skills first will be helpful to you. Looking at this piece, my advice would be to draw bigger (physically) and fill out the page a little more. Draw bigger and looser.

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing some more stuff from you in the near future.

PS I know I haven't said anything about their hair but, MagenSparks did a pretty good job already.
    Last edited by shrunkendesigner; 09-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.