ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinnaree, Mythical Female Bird - Fantasy

Kinnaree, Mythical Female Bird - Fantasy

Hi,

I have decided to paint a mythological/mythical creature that was talked a lot in literatures of Asia. Statues and paintings were done everywhere in temples and many buildings.

The creatures are supposed to be birds/human who resided in a mythical forest in Himalayas. They have bodies of human; just have wings that can be taken off as needed. They like water and can be caught when the wings are taken off, so a lot of romantic stories of love between men and these beautiful creatures are written. In Sanskrit and Thai language, the female ones are called Kinnaree, males are Kinnorn.

In this fantasy painting, I tried to capture the beauty of a Kinnaree enjoying herself in a lotus ponds.

Several refe. pictures were used, JackT.s Sakura brush head and a PPS were used, thanks to the creators of those brushes.

Feel free to comment and advice.

Jasminek
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A very interesting mythological reference for a charming painting, dear Jasmine!
    As a curosity I would put two images of them I found and two archaelogical representations of the mythological ancient Greek harpies (or the original image of the sirens, here with Ulysses) which look not much dissimilar to kinnaree, although they were not at all nice to meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-08-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

that one diving on the boat She must have been the 1st Kamakaza pilot
    sorry Jas I like your one better ------E/S

Jasmine, very beautiful, love the softness and wonderful colors you chose

Soft and gentle painting Jasmine, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks to all your kind comments.

Caesar - I love mythology and find it fascination how things are told similarly in each culture. The Kinnarees and the Kinnorn are not mean, always a bit too gentle actually. There was a story that a guru helped a Kinnarre untangled herself from a trap, the Guru told all Kinnos not to come back to the lower part of earth (their residence was high up in the Himalayas) and stay away from human.

Alexandra - Fantasy paintings makes me feel a bit relax that I don't have to make it realistic, thanks again.

80+ - Perhaps the Japanese pilots took some lessons from this creatures! Wonder, they spoke Japanese?

Pat - Thanks sweet lady.

Coops - Thanks for looking dear friend.

Beautiful painting, great job.

Finely done, and thanks for the mythological information. Im going to have to look that up.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Scott - Every Kinnaree were painted topless, I just had to hind mine with a lei, unless I want to post at "After Nine".

Most old Thai and Other Asian paintings seemed to be topless, men or women, It used to confuse me seeing these topless paintings or stautues in temple paintings. When I asked a teacher, she sent me home from being too curious, then in college one Art teacher told me that he thought because of hot weather.

I am glad you are interested.