Thread: Procedural noise for paper color as an option

Gallery
    View images

Procedural noise for paper color as an option

This would allow for more complex paper presets without the overhead of a layer of paint being used up to establish color for the paper that is not just a flat color. I don't know about anyone else, but a good implimentation of this would be used by me quite alot.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    <puff-puff> Is the microphone on? Can you hear me in the back? [Loud feedback squeel from microphone] Anybody else like this idea? Hate it? [Crickets chirpping]... You see... it makes it so the paper color is not just one flat hue... [distant dog barks incessantly]... Uh... So the paper looks more natural and organic... [Fashmir looks around trying to peer through the bright light of ArtRage into it's unknown future... notices several shadowy figures madly fashioning voodoo dolls in his image] Ok ok! forget I said anything! [Fashmir backs away slowly and then breaks into a run]

Great- now I suppose there'll be more scorpions in my underwear drawer.
    Be well,

Gallery
    View images
    Hehe. I'm listening... I'm listening.
    I just dont comment on everything!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Are you thinking in terms of gradients applied to the grain of a paper, or perhaps textured or patterned gradients?
    Yes, I do like that idea of yours.

I just figured you'd get your usual batch of responses and I wouldn't need to sign in. :lol:
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com

Gallery
    View images
    Y'know there's nothing to prevent people from finding interesting papers and surfaces, scanning them on a flatbed scanner, and posting them here for people to import as the lowest layer.
    Import the image, add a layer above, and paint. If you use the same image as paper texture and match up the grain you're set.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Y'know there's nothing to prevent people from finding interesting papers and surfaces, scanning them on a flatbed scanner, and posting them here for people to import as the lowest layer.
    Import the image, add a layer above, and paint. If you use the same image as paper texture and match up the grain you're set.
    Already doing that Andy, in fact if you recall I wrote up a difinative tutorial on that very subject http://www.vismag.com/Tutorials/ar2_paper/index.html I just don't think people get the information unless I constantly bump the posts forward. I think there is a very real need for an archive of resources and educational material with a library structure of some kind. Hmmmm I'm thinking Wiki style so you guys can keep rolling.

The primary reason for the suggestion that heads this thread is that: a) sometimes I just want a quick way into a "new" piece of paper that doesn't use a whole paint layer ( I tend to work at very large sizes so layers are precious). b) It just seems... cool. You know like ArtRage. As I go through life with my WWAD (what would Andy do?) sticker on my computer... these ideas come to me.
    Be well,

Gallery
    View images
    Hehe. Well it's in the suggestions forum, so it'll be considered for a future release.

Gallery
    View images
    i don't see why an archive or homemade paper selection of sorts could not be done on wikipedia, or wikiuniversity, or some already public wiki forum under a CC license. If I had a scanner, I could scan my own textures and post them. I have considered doing my own website for this myself.

Any takers?