ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Tutorial

Sky Tutorial

I am definitely not an authority on this, but here is how I have been using Artrage to create my skies... Step 1 is to begin with a quick sketch to give myself some boundaries (the cool thing about skies is that there is no wrong... mine will have some resemblance to the sketch, but by the end, I have gone off track a little).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	48043  

Step 2

In the next two pics, I have used the paint tube and added color where I want it. You'll notice that I keep my sketch (a separate layer) open so that I can follow my original guidelines.

Name:	PaintTube_01.jpg 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	48044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaintTube_02.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	48045  

Step 3

Now, the monotonous part. I use the palette knife and begin on the top left. I smear the paint in little sections. Normally, I go from the top left corner down and when I reach the bottom, I start back at the top... overlapping the original bit. In this painting, I used the palette knife and smeared the different colors. After this, I get the paint brush with 0 loading and 0 thinner. Trying to differentiate the stroke throughout the painting, I attempt to never use the same stroke. You only get a couple of swipes though because you will eventually dry the area.

Name:	PaletteKnife_01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	48046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaletteKnife_02.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	338.7 KB 
ID:	48047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaletteKnife_03.jpg 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	48048  

Step 4

Now, at the bottom of the pic, I used the paint brush and set the loading at about 60. Using black paint, I paint the basic area where my tree silhouette's will be. (I forgot to save a couple of pics displaying step 3 but if you look closely at the sky, you will notice the difference that was made by using the "dry" brush after using my palette knife).

After painting the black area, I select my palette knife and start making little jagged edges all along the top, creating the effect of leaves on the tops of trees. To smooth out the black, I go back to my dry brush and brush the thick black paint away.

Name:	PaintBrush_Trees01.jpg 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	48049  

Done!!!

There you have it. This was done pretty quickly, so not the best. I got away with cheating on the foreground by using the sunset and silhouette, but I figured that was a good one to use for a tutorial on how I go about my skies. Let me know what you think.

Name:	Sunset_Tutorial_Final.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	48050  

You've done this wonderfully great! I think, it'll add to one's knowledge for applying the same where such dramatic effects are needed. Cool! Thanks a lot!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

7. Thanks for sharing, awesome that you took the time to do this. I can see now how you managed to get the good looking sky in your barn piece.

Mojo, this is a beautiful sky, I love the colors and so nice of you to share, thanks Mojo

Great tutorial I will have to try this out tonight