ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Seca Sportscar Reunion - Dan Gurney's New Eagle

Laguna Seca Sportscar Reunion - Dan Gurney's New Eagle

Some friends and I had a chance to go several days to California's Laguna Seca Sportscar Reunion in August 2010. This year they were honoring Dan Gurney, who is age 80. He and all his winning sports cars were present in a paddock and we got his autograph and got to say hi during his signature reception. His son, Alex Gurney, was also there. This painting is of Dan Gurney's newest built Eagle, and the head mechanic (Bert) warming up the engine, prior to Alex Gurney taking it for a demo lap around the track. Engine revving, people with fingers in their ears at the noise or peering at the vehicle from a safe distance, video cameraman waiting for his shot, Alex and his wife over by the huge white trailer, ready to go -- it was a high point of these races.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marcialsj; 09-04-2010 at 05:21 AM.

cool!
    how are you doing this?
    thank you
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

Glad you liked it!! Not clear on what you mean by "this", though. To go through my whole process, I started with a digital photo, in Photoshop made the whole background really blurry and changed the background color hue towards an orange to complement the blue race car, and saved it as a tiff. I then brought it over into my ArtRage 3 Studio via a File/New Painting/Load Tracing Image to get the size right, and then also did a File/Import Image File to Layer to actually paint on. I used the oil brush for this one. As you swish the brush over the photo bit by bit, the digital pixels look "painted". I tend to zoom in a lot when I'm doing my initial paint, and I paint everything, trying to simplify where it gets finicky. Then, when I zoom back out, the painting usually still looks too detailed and too much like a photo, so I go back over it with a larger paintbrush and paint out some of the details. For this painting, I erased all the photo's background and only painted the man and race car on my Imported Layer. Then I created a new background layer and using my oil paintbrush and the roller and the Tracing Image, I made the background. It helps to be listening to the roar of the racecar motor or some other loud music in order to get energetic brushstrokes like this. I finished off by pulling the image back into Photoshop and tinkering with various color adjustments - contrast, vibrance and saturation, and a little judicious hue finetuning.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 09-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Masterfully painted as usual, dear mate!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

wow, wonderful work Marcial

Marcia, beautiful painting. Very nice explanation of your technique.

Brilliant work marcialsj, vibrant and full of energy
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Another wonderful job.!

>To go through my whole process, I started with a digital photo, in Photoshop made the whole background really blurry and changed the background color hue towards an orange to complement the blue race car, and saved it as a tiff

very interesting technique. Thank you.
    I should try. but I think that will not work so nicely.
    Once again - thank you.
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

Beautiful piece and thanks for sharing your technique.
    Darryl Elliott

Facebook Fan Page