ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting chrome

Painting chrome

Any tips for painting chrome, like the kind that would be on the bumper of an classic car?

Thanks kindly....

No guarantees, but if you play around with the tube tool, with a light grey or white type color, you can get some pretty chrome like effects, especially if you add a little metal effect.

Might also play with it with the knife.
    Last edited by barnburner; 09-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I would make a selection, and fill it up with the airbrush on a big size.
    like the Characters in this tutorial...
    Last edited by hanzz; 09-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

A chrome finished surface is basically a mirror. It's going to reflect the objects and colors around it and will distort the reflections based on the shape of the object that has the chrome finish. You might be able to get away with simplifying the reflections, depending on the type of image you're creating, but you'll still need to use the colors of the object around the chrome to create the right look for the reflection. As always, it's best to study some reference images beforehand as well.

In terms of which tools to use while creating the surface in ArtRage, I'd recommend starting with Oil Brush to block in colors (See point A in the attached image) and then using the crayon tool on a smooth surfaced layer (like the cell preset) to blend the colors out (see point B). But don't be afraid to try out the other tools to get the right effect you need. In my example I found that using the Airbrush Spatter Sticker Spray preset worked well for creating the ground texture and it's reflection on the chrome (see point C).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome example.jpg 
Views:	1495 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	47910

(EDIT) - I decided to finish up that example a bit more. Here's what I ended up with:

Name:  chrome_example.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  66.7 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 09-02-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks kindly guys, I really appreciate the replies....

Cheers

with air brush as Hanzz said you could approach the metallic object, check on youtube video for chip foose (car designer). you can notice that he's using air brush technique to apply the metallic on the car drawing.

I love Chip Foose... I'll have to check out youtube...

I had played around with metallic glitter and tube paint using the smoothing knife in the 2.5 version of AR, then when AR3 Studio Pro came out with the variations of the knife I started playing around with trying to develope a chrome look. I am not by any means an accomplished artist and the work shown here is absolutely gorgeous. I don't have the expertise to do anything like the examples shown. The example I have here is as close as I had come to getting a chrome effect. I had to make sure the canvas was smooth, no roughness or texture of any kind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@SS, thats a superb job you did with the chrome!

@ Bobbi, that is awesome I will have to try your technique out.