ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Julianne Moore in crayon

Julianne Moore in crayon

Time for another portrait and since, as a single guy, I prefer "studying" reference photos of the female variety considerably more than those of males (hope I don't get sued for some sort of discrimination!), I found another comely lass to attempt...actress Julianne Moore.
    Nearly all crayon with lots of knife and lots of eraser (I think the eraser and the "undo" button are my favorite and most used AR features) on multiple layers. As has been the case in my earlier portrait attempts, I'm not entirely happy with the hair; I can't seen to get what I want. Oh well...perhaps next time.

As always, C&C welcome and greatly appreciated.

jb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	julianne moore.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	47884  

Quite lovely. The shading around the whole face is really good. The lips are great. They look freshly lip-glossed and ready to hand out smooches.

The hair is fine, I thought that was what you were going for. Perhaps leaving the focus on those luscious lips of hers. What do you dislike about the hair in particular?

JB I like it very much. Well done.

Thanks, MagenSparks, for the kind words. While I don't think the hair is terrible, I guess that it's not quite as vibrant and...uh..."hair-like" as I'd hoped.

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, Orianelima, my friend; you're good for my new-to-art ego.

It's very nice jb. I would like to see it go a bit further. The area above the upper lip does not meet smoothly with the upper lip and makes it look like a mask rather than flesh... so that is my only crit would be to work on the lips a bit more. I like the composition of the portrait and the colors of it. A bit more tlc and you will have a great portrait.

Have you tried a thinner brush over top of what you've done? perhaps focusing on the highlights more than the darker shades... I'm not super great with portraits, but looking at what you have... that's probably what I would try first. Maybe on it's own layer or something so you don't mess up what you already have down.

Just a suggestion to consider.

A perfectly recognisable portrait and a very dramatic expression! Absolutely great!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!