ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using Artrage to Paint Game Textures

Using Artrage to Paint Game Textures

I'm wondering how this might be possible in artrage. To hand paint textures for games.

Specifically the hand painted look.

What tools and settings, methods, might I use to get a similar effects(I would have posted tuts but cant(I know the oil brush doesnt work the way it is)?

there would be no problem using any of the tools you want.

Obviously the AR lighting and texturing is locked down when the painting is exported.

Not sure if this is any help to you, but you can also export a painting layer to channels ( color, bump etc ) by holding down the shift key when exporting a layer from ArtRage 2.6 ( undocumented feature ) or by right clicking on a layer in ArtRage Studio Pro and choosing 'Export layer to channels' from the menu.

There's some information further down this thread - http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=24253
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I see there are Bump Blend Modes, can you export the Bump map? or are you meaning that you can save one of the colour layers to be used as a Bump Map.

When you export channels, you get four files. The one with the _bm suffix is the bump channel. Channels which are exported are Color, Bump, Shininess and Reflectivity.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by Calabi View Post
    I'm wondering how this might be possible in artrage. To hand paint textures for games.

Specifically the hand painted look.

What tools and settings, methods, might I use to get a similar effects(I would have posted tuts but cant(I know the oil brush doesnt work the way it is)?
    Not sure what you mean by textures for games. If you are referring to texture map painting on 3d game models, yes, this is possible. You have to keep in mind the lighting in AR. At this point in time (AFAIK) you cannot change the position or direction of the light in AR.

Secondly I am not sure whether you would realistically speaking be able to successfully paint anything other than a colour/diffuse map in AR. The export of bump, spec & shininess layers may give interesting effects in you game/render engine, but I'm not sure that you would be able to use it as effectively as you would for instance use maps generated by something like ZBrush.

But hey, AR is all about experimenting! Try out different options and show us your results. I'm sure many of the folks here (myself included) would love to see what can be done with AR in the whole 2D to 3D thing.

My experiments here may interest you:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=28126

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=13340

Enjoy
    Last edited by yvan_c; 08-31-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks for all the help everyone.