ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkey on my Shoulders - Puppet Theatre

Monkey on my Shoulders - Puppet Theatre

Hi,

This painting is the continuation of the “Puppet Theatre in Thailand”.

After the puppeteers finished the session (1st), they came down to the ground where people were (temporary open air theatre) so that people could see the puppets at the close up. These puppets take a long time to make, 2 months at least for each and very expensive; all of them are characters in the literature “Ramayana”.

Hubby is quite tall so he got picked right away as the puppeteers also have the duties to show the tourists the Thai culture. He was visited by the female puppet that was very sweet and polite but here came the “Hanuman”, the main hero monkey soldier of the prince Rama. Hanuman was written as a mighty monkey whose father was one of the Hindu Gods – the God of Wind. Hanuman can change his body into anything he wants and fights for the justice, of course he was a flirting philanderer, has girlfriends everywhere. He turns the potential female enemies into lovers, but leave them to fight for the Rama, never forgets his duties.

In this painting, I tried to capture the surprise turned to joy of Hubby when Hanuman got on his shoulders unexpectedly. I never heard those 3 puppeteers say a word to each other, but they did things unexpectedly very nicely.

This painting is a challenge to the extreme, portraits included.

Stickers were used in the jewelry, one was from MP jewel brush. Photoshop brushes are also used for the braclets. Thanks to all the people who created them. Eye stickers were used for "Hanuman's" eyes. Thanks to the person who created them too.

Any comments and advice are needed and appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roger and Hanuman.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	47841  

Jasmine, what beautiful and interesting story to go with your wonderful painting, I can see this took talent and a lot of patience, you did a fantastic job of this painting, thankyou for sharing your stories and your wonderful paintings

Really fun story. I enjoy how you've painted the monkey and your husband. The shading is quite good there.

Really nice and well done Jasmin.

What a handsome hubby you have Jasmin and i like that Hanuman on his shoulders... it looks like they got friendly with each other right away... i would finish the hands of the monkey, more shading is needed allaround the figures to make them stand out a bit and to give the depth to the scenery. Otherwise, you are doing very well indeed. If you have a ref pic... study it in detail for values.

Jasmine - I really enjoy this painting. Somehow, you
    manage to do a wonderful job of expressing the mood and feeling of the story you are telling both in the painting and the background story that goes with it.
    You certainly have a gift.
    Well done.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Your paintings of your holiday have brought such a smile to us all Jasmine. I like this one very much
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks to all comments and advice you all have posted. Appreciations are beyond words can say!

Both paintying on puppets very beatiful and quite interesting and somehow familiar to me indeed!
    Dear Jasminek, as odd as it can seem, we still have a quite similar tradition in Sicily, Italy, with the theater of the Pupi Siciliani (Sicilian Puppets). The stories are from literature too, the epic one, about Charlemagne and his paladins (the bravest and noblest knights), who fought against the Moorish based on the Roland saga (when they stopped European invasions by Arabians), but who became also the protagonists of the first crusade who was celebrated in two long poems, a couple of centuries after, by two of the major Italian poets. One of them, la Gerusalemme Liberata, (Jerusalm set free), by Torquato tasso, is almost as much important as the ancient poems we study too (Iliad, Odissey by Omer and Aeneid by Virgil, the greatest classical poets and among the greatest ever).
    In the past, the crusades where not considerered as negatively as today (quite excessively), also because the Mediterranean and Eastern people in Europe, beyond any political correctness consequent to an often shameful colonial behaviour, remember quite well the invasion wars with Arabians and Otoman Turkish invaders and pirates and atrocities and ancient coastal towers and fortresses show it. One example among other, the Malta's Knights.
    Here's a site where You can see them acting.
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=it&s...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/images?hl=it&g...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-03-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar, really appreciated your kind comment.

The more we know, the more we find the people are alike. I never saw the puppets from Italy, but I saw a few from France, Germany and Indonesia. The basic rhings about them are so much alike. However, the ones in France do the stories really for kids, but others seem to do the classic literatures and history.

With all the same thing humen have, there are still wars, perhaps other things alike are greed and want to control too.

Thanks for the link too.