ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Child with Hmong Hat

A Child with Hmong Hat

Hello,

My second attempt on a portrait. I found a picture of this baby in the internet, a hill tribe indigenous to Asia, Hmong Tribe. I chose to paint the child simply because of the expression. Ones can find this tribe anywhere from China down to SE Asia. In Thailand, they live in mountains and I have a soft touch for this tribe due to my father’s experience. He was a patrol policeman, on patrol most of his time in far-away mountains at the border of Thailand and Burma. When he came home, he would tell me of his experience, one I remembered so well was about the hill tribe people. He said they were very generous, would feed him and his troop the best thing they had every time he stopped by. Even the food was not what he was used to, he would try to eat so not to offend; one of the food was tad poles mixed with pepper and grilled inside bananas leaves.

This people finally got the Thai citizenship less than 10 years ago with the help of the King and Queen of Thailand who said “People who love the country are better for protection around the border than soldiers. These people deserve the citizenship.” If my father was alive, he would be very happy.

These people are better off now, thanks to the King’s mother and the King himself who taught them how to grow other plants than opium.

This tribe was the most important one who helped the Americans during Vietnam War and many of them moved to the USA. They are not doing as well as other immigrants such as Vietnamese immigrations due to lacking education and traditional family values are so strong that it is difficult to assimilate.

Sticker sprays were use for the coins and beads, a Photoshop brush was use for the blouse pattern, thanks to all people who created them.

Any comments and advice is always appreciated.

JasmineK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Child with Hmong Hat.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	47805  

Jasmine - this is just a delightful portrait!
    You have captured the innocence of this young child so well. Great job!
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Jasmin what a beautiful portrait. Congratulations.

What a delightful face and painting you have done brilliantly
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Jasmine, so wonderful a painting this is, I love it, beautiful face, great job

Always a joy to see your paintings based on your homeland!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Thanks to all of you for encouraging comments. So kind of you.

I have long admired Hmong needlework and am delighted to see it portrayed here.

Thank you Dos., I do like their needle work too, bought one a couple years ago. Thanks again.

Love the portrait. The Hmong are great folks.