ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage on other platforms ...

ArtRage on other platforms ...

I just saw that Ambient is working on an iPad version of ArtRage, and this makes me a bit sad, I've to admit it. It makes me sad because many Linux users are dreaming of ArtRage on their operating system and they can only mess with WINE and hope things will work, while iPad owners just appeared and they are already going to have ArtRage. I do understand it's about economy and I do understand that Ambient has all rights in wishing to have their beautiful software on a very profitable market like the iSomething owners one, but at the same time this does leave me with a bitter taste.

Linux has no natural painting application (please don't talk to me about mypaint, I tested it extensively and it's just a toy at the moment). ArtRage kinda works under WINE but with various bugs and a performance loss. Corel Painter is not working at all under WINE. Ambient could be the first to bring such an application on Linux, and I am sure many would buy it and it would become hugely popular.

I am a supporter of ArtRage since version 2 and I keep spreading the word about it and using it in my personal and professional projects; I truly love this software! I am also an happy Ubuntu user and I would love to have a native Linux ArtRage version. I have Windows 7 machines too since I need to use Corel Painter, Photoshop and other Windows-only stuff I bought and need everyday, but I like to stay on Ubuntu as much as possible. Many artists I know are working only on Linux.

Please, please, please Ambient consider working on a native Linux ArtRage. I'm not one of those fanatics asking you to give your software away and turn it into open-source only cos they think everything except open-source is bad. Please just develop a native Linux version and sell it to us. There are countless artists struggling to work with Linux and affordable / free software, and in my humble opinion I think they probably deserve ArtRage as much as iSomething owners, if not definitely more.

That being said, I sincerly wish Ambient Design all the luck in the world, they deserve it since ArtRage is a wonderful software and to create such a good application requires a lot of efforts and a good share of genius

Just my 2 cents, have a nice time people and keep painting!

I would like to second this request and the appreciation of the genius of AR!

Hi! I'm brand new here, and wanted to introduce myself. I saw this message before I spotted any sort of introduction post, and felt the need to read and reply to it.

I am a Ubuntu user myself. I run Windows 7 through a Virtual Box for the software that HAS to run on Windows. Unfortunately, this currently includes Art Rage 3.

After only fifteen minutes of playing with the demo had me sold on this awesome package, despite the fact that I have to use it in Windows. I too agree that the Linux painting/drawing programs are crap. I spent more time trying to find the pencil in Inkscape than I did trying to draw with it. Pencil is a complete joke considering the screen doesn't stay in one place while attempting to draw, and Squibble is just about as bad as Inkscape is with trying to figure out the interface and tools.

I supported Art Rage only because it's a wonderful and beautiful program to work with, because it is NOT ridiculously priced like Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, and because of it's ease of use. I was up and drawing in less than five minutes. I took another twenty minutes to review the video tutorials and was even more impressed by this product. I can't wait to find out what version 3 has to offer!

Anyway, to the point. As it was pointed out by the original poster, the Linux community NEEDS an artistic utility to stand out, and I think Art RAge would be perfect. There are A LOT of people using Linux because of it's ease of use and lack of jumping through activations and registrations with every new upgrade. I know because I've had an impact with converting a bunch of people (and I mean more than ten) over to Linux. Everybody that I've had try the Operating System has fallen in love with it's simplicity.

I would be willing to pay for this product again in Linux if it became available. That, you have my word on!

Much words written, so I'll be short
    The first reason I'm not using Linux at the moment - is that I can't use ArtRage (the second one is about bad sound quality, but it's not so bad...)
    I want ArtRage for Linux too

I agree it would be great to have it .
    A other point is i hope the makers of artrage make artrage for older window
    versions as that is a other bad trick, i stop buying new windows last is windows 2000.
    And artrage demand WindowsXP, Vista, or Win7. MacOSX 10.4 or later.
    Bad move for me as i cant run it virtual now

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this!

At the moment we're not in a position to do a Linux port of ArtRage but it's something that has been requested by a few users and we're definitely not writing the idea off. The core toolkit we use for developing the application is pretty portable, so it's possible that we will expand in the future to support Linux and other platforms.

Regarding support for older versions of operating systems, we do try to maintain backward compatibility where possible and I believe that you should still be able to run the current version of 2.x/Studio/Pro on Win2k, though you may need the GDIPlus DLL that is required for some of the OS window options we use. OSX 10.3 support unfortunately had to be dropped for Studio/Pro due to some requirements for OS panels that the earlier version didn't support.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
    I agree it would be great to have it .
    A other point is i hope the makers of artrage make artrage for older window
    versions as that is a other bad trick, i stop buying new windows last is windows 2000.
    And artrage demand WindowsXP, Vista, or Win7. MacOSX 10.4 or later.
    Bad move for me as i cant run it virtual now
    Windows 2000 is based on the same kernal as XP. You should not have any issues.

Ubuntu Software Center and ArtRage

Just putting my two cents in here - the Ubuntu Software Center is getting up and running, and allowing paid apps to be in there (I hear World of Goo just appeared). I think if ArtRage got in there early, they'd have a very, very good run!

Is there anything we can do as linux users to help with this project? I know that the AR folks say that they don't have the resources at the moment, but is there anything we can do to assist in this? Pledge drive, volunteer help, etc?

Cheers!