ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Rage review in ImagineFX mag

Art Rage review in ImagineFX mag

Looks like our favorite 2D app has gotten a favorable review from this very prestigious fantasy art magazine....

http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754331...tudio-pro.html

A lovely review, but I can tell that he came nowhere near really pushing its limits.

Agreed. I think though, that reviewers can't really dig too deep into each thing they review. He did cover our favorite program well though. Thanks for sharing the link, was a good read.

Hmm interesting. I used to be a massive Painter devotee, but since AR3 came out I hardly use it. A bristle engine is wildly overrated IMHO. But hey, I guess I'm an Artrage fan boy...

So Jon will your next art workshop book be on ArtRage....

For those who do not know Jon is the author of an outstanding book "Fantasy Art for Beginners" which I purchased last year... It's a must have for anyone interested in fantasy art...

Here's a link to the book at Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Art-Be...2924395&sr=8-5

Quote Originally Posted by JonHodgson View Post
    Hmm interesting. I used to be a massive Painter devotee, but since AR3 came out I hardly use it. A bristle engine is wildly overrated IMHO. But hey, I guess I'm an Artrage fan boy...
    Hey Jon - are we twins? You just voiced my experience exactly. You don't happen to like Sketchbook Pro as well do you? - in which case we might not be twins but dopplegangers.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by JonHodgson View Post
    A bristle engine is wildly overrated IMHO. ...
    How so, Jon? Could you please elaborate on what you mean? I tend to agree in that if Painter only pushes the brush engine while ignoring other features/problems, then no good can come of it. They haven't done any useful/major improvements on the brush engine for a few versions now.

Also, I'd rather have a handful of useful brushes in each category (oils/watercolours/pencils etc) than 50 billion brushes that I'll probably never use.

I have Painter 11, but ArtRage is certainly singing it's siren call to me. Way more FUN to use too!

Heck I must remember to subscribe to threads - I try to keep on top of my forum presences but regularly fail!

Ok, it's not a huge deal to me, but I think highly modelled, processor intensive bristle emulation FOR ME is beyond a certain point a waste of time and resources. I don't think it brings all that much to the party. It sounds like a really cool idea, but I don't notice any great lack of it in ArtRage at all.

I paint in Artrage, Painter and Photoshop fairly extensively (9 to 5, 5 days a week at least) and using PS CS2, with no bristle engine to speak of, and I don't find I'm lacking anything within that software.

I guess if it were a big feature of one's work - like if you were creating digital sumi-e or something like that, then sure, it could be vital.

Thanks for the link to the book kenmo! Get it while you can, I'm not sure if they will be reprinting it. I have ben pondering putting together something in print about ArtRage, even if it's just a little print on demand book via lulu or somesuch. I'll have to find the time to drop the Ambient guys a line and see if that would be ok with them.

Nick - I haven't used Sketchbook Pro, but as your doppelganger it clearly is something I must look into!
    Jon Hodgson
    jonhodgson.com

Hi Guys,

I believe the guys who did some of the best bits of Painter, later set up their own company in New Zealand.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Aged P View Post
    Hi Guys,

I believe the guys who did some of the best bits of Painter, later set up their own company in New Zealand.

Phil
    And what do they make now?
    Jon Hodgson
    jonhodgson.com