ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Scrolling through font list

Scrolling through font list

I have AR Studio (not pro).
    I don't know if this was added to newer versions than mine, but it would be very helpful to have a scrollbar on the list of fonts. I have many fonts.
    Thank you.

Select one and arrow down/up will work.
    Mentioned this allready when AR3 came out

Hans

thanks, i'll try that.

Hi MaryLou
    A trick i've found helps with scrolling the fonts quicker is to type the first letter of the font to jump to that letter's section in the list

eg/ if I know I want Helvetica then pressing 'h' on the keyboard will jump me to the fonts starting with h

The other thing you can consider is some sort of font management software which will allow you to create a group of your favorite fonts for use with artrage and load only those into the system. I use a professional one which is fairly pricey but there are free ones available like the following http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php which you can try. This will stop your font list from being as large to scroll through as it only loads the ones you tell it too.

hope this helps
    Last edited by Juz; 08-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks for the link to that font viewer.
    Is it best to use the fonts at 300dpi? I had a project for a client she needed me to add some text to an existing logo and she sent the file as a really small png and I couldn't do it as well as I wanted. (She was still happy with it, but I knew it could have been so much better)
    Darryl Elliott

Facebook Fan Page

Hi Darryl,
    Fonts while in editable form have fully scaleable outlines (eg/ they are essentially bezier or vector). This means they are resolution independent and can be scaled to any size. It probably would have been ideal to have your client provide you with an image file format which kept the editability intact ... e.g. a photoshop .psd

The moment the font is commited to an image format that does not support editability like the .png they become image pixels and therefore cannot be scaled.

If for some reason your client was unable to provide you with a file that had the font still in editable form, you should probably ask them for one image with the text and one without, as well as the typeface and font name. That way you could recreate the text yourself and have more control over how it looks. In this case it would be best to recreate the text at the target print size e.g if its to be included in a 300dpi image make sure the image is at that resolution b4 flattening the editable (vector) text to image pixels.

For logo's, where possible, its best to trace off the whole thing in vector so that you can provide the client with a logo that can be scaled; from a small size for a letterhead or business card right up to a massive size like for signage on a building or truck.

Hope this helps
    Juzzy
    Last edited by Juz; 08-28-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks Juz. Good info to keep in mind for the future.
    This particular client doesn't quite grasp the differences in all the file types. I kept asking for the right things, but kept sending the wrong things, or telling me I could do this or that (which I knew was innacurate) so, I just threw my hands up and did the best I could with what I had. LoL.
    Darryl Elliott

Facebook Fan Page