ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Grab yourself one, before it runs away!

Grab yourself one, before it runs away!

Hi,

I posted this painting under "Food with an Attitude" in Projects. I noticed that the Projects are not visited much, so allow me to put it here too.

I would like to join other wonderful painters on the subject “Food with an Attitude”.

This fruit in my painting is called durian, very expensive, very famous for the people who like them in SE Asia.

Some people describe durian fruit as having a succulent, creamy filling but smelling like some rotten cheese. It is considered to be King of the Asian Fruit. It is of the size of a football or larger with thorny hard skin. Inside is packed with yellowish custard like fruit. It does taste like sweet custard also (that is if you get over the smell, and know how to cut this fruit without dripping your own blood.) During harvest time, prices never drop to dirt-cheap levels, as they do for pineapples and bananas.
    Well, durians have a strong smell, and ones must like or dislike them right away, no middle way on this fruit.
    Most public places such as airports, shopping malls, hotels ban this fruit.

For me, there is an international grocery in VA who sells it for $1.99/lbs, skin and all. So a durian of the size of a football costs about $10.00, not bad for a person in USA who likes it. I have to store this fruit in a separate fridge for the smell can invade anything like milk, etc. and Hubby will suffer.

This is my first painting on this fruit. Not so happy with the monkey either. By the way, monkeys loved this fruit; they do have a very difficult time cracking it open though. A documentary showed how the monkeys in Indonesia cracked them open by throwing the fruit against sharp rocks. The same documentary also showed how elephants wrapped their trunks around the fruit and beat them against trees.

An Indonesian told me that in the older days, the young girls were taught to inquire the young men who they consider marrying, whether they like durians or not. If not, try not to marry because a lot of Indonesian consider the durians smell like an unclean, private part of a female.

Any commenst and advice is always welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durians and Monkey.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	47603  

Hi Jasmine, this is great, my husband and I watch a lot of travel channel Anthony Boudine and are very familiar with the fruit and the stinky smell lol seen how the monkey work so hard to break them open, I think this is the only thing that Andrew Zimmerd could not eatThe painting is wonderful and you wrote a great write up about it, very nice work

I never tasted it, dear Jasmine, but the story about this fruit is very interesting indeed!
    Considering prices of the most renowned high-quality types of some fruits in recent times in Italian towns, such a royal fruit seems not that expensive, after all.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nice painting and like your writing!

Kind of like Limburger cheese huh? People who can get past the smell love it...my father used to eat it and though I always loved things my father did because he was my Dad I always said "that stinks!"

Thank you Pat, this fruit is either you love it or hate it. However, every dog that I met loves it. Out old dog who was 17 when she died, would not leave the kitchen when I had it. My mother's dogs in Thailand would not do their work, not paying any attention at the gate like they nornally did, just sat in front of me. The first time I didn't understand, had to ask my mother why they were staring, "They love durian." was the answer, so I had to share.

Caesar - This fruit is not recommened for lots of consumption, especially in the hot weather. People are known to die from eating too much of it. I normally have only one section a day. It is very sweet, not good for old people like me. Things in Europe are very expensive, I agree.

Linn - Exactly like the cheese, I can't take that cheese, but like durian.
    Thanks for the nice comment.

Jasminek,
    GeeeeemonieChristmas and TSK! ....
    What an Art, I mean OUT-rageous double painterly whammy! You
    (respectfully) forced me (and God knows how many other members!)
    to swiftly vacate the premises of my previously clean as a fresh spring
    breeze "Food With an Attitute" thread when you threw that Durian stink
    bomb in there and now??? In GALLERY??? PAGE ONE EVEN???

Ohhhhhhhh the putrid inhumanity of it all. Had to find a clothes pin for
    nasal constriction purposes to respond here and, and, and someone
    should fastly complain to administration ... that is if they aren't barfing
    up yet from the extremely odorous repute. Open the "Gallery" window
    someone ... ANYONE? Hello? HELLO?

Mairzie Dotes

Sweet Mairzie, sorry my dear. Well, someone may have to air this site out!!!!

don't worry jasmin I heard that Mairzie bellowin so I come running that 's if my Legs will allow it

We need all the help, I would just go to eat them a little down the river, ok?