ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tracing images - HELP!

Question Tracing images - HELP!

I am doing a series of step-by-step intructional images which I want to create using a photograph as a tracing image, then overlaying line drawings to show a progression.
    I would like to be able to save the original tracing image along with the superimposed line drawings, as a complete file, so that the tracing image shows as a ghostly background to act as a reference for the line drawings.
    I've tried 'merging all layers', but the tracing image isn't recognised as a layer.
    Does anyone know how I can do this? It seems as if it should be so simple but I'm pulling my hair out!

I'm guessing you need an image file format other than the native .ptg for the tutorial (.ptg would show it as part of the whole but is dependant on being opened in artrage).

So the easiest way for you to have it show up in a format like .jpeg, .png etc would be to take a screen grab.

If you're on Win7 theres a 'Snipping Tool' in the accessories, if your on an earlier version just use the print screen button on your keyboard will create a copy of your screen in your clipboard which you can then paste into artrage and export out. Or if you have OneNote as part of office that has a built in screengrab which by default is triggered using the keyboard windows key + S. If none of these methods are working for you, you can always use a shareware app like Screen Clipper

On a mac, theres a system screengrab but its been so long since i've used a mac i honestly can't remember what the keyboard shortcut is.
    Last edited by Juz; 08-19-2010 at 03:46 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hi,

One way to incorporate the original is the "import image to layer" feature
    I rarely use the trace option but simply import it to a layer.
    Then make it the bottom layer and change its transparency.
    When selecting a higher layer to draw you get the same effect.
    (I presume you use studio(pro) as it wasn't mentioned in your post)

Hans

Thumbs up

D'uh!

I never even thought of doing that. I've been complicating matters, messing around trying to merge layers and varying degrees of opacity and all the time a simple, alternative answer was right under my nose.

Thank you so much.

Glad to be of help

Hans

Han's method is better (especailly if you need to output print res)

If you need to show the tool palettes, take a screen grab and to get an ok print res halve the width and height and double your dpi.
    Last edited by Juz; 08-19-2010 at 04:29 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Smile

Both methods do work, but as you say, Hans method is a bit more straightforward.

The finished images are destined to be professionally printed in a text book so thanks too for the advice on print output.

Thanks again both of you.

There is an option to covert a tracing image to a layer, as well. Just open the Tracing panel, click on the menu tab and select "Convert Tracing Image to Paint" (see attached image). It will then create a layer from the tracing image.

Name:  tracetopaint.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  38.5 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

SoS

Never saw that option,
    Good to know it exists

Hans