ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Honored Pledge

An Honored Pledge

The young Lakota warrior "Speaks With Thunder" had journeyed to a neighboring village, and there he paid 7 horses to the father of his new bride, "Eyes that Sparkle at Dawn".
    As they were almost back to his village, they were attacked by a large party of warriors from the Crow tribe. "Speaks with Thunder" was knocked almost unconcious, and, as they took his wife with them, he screamed and pledged to her, and to "Man Above", that he would not rest until he had rescued her.
    Running to his village for help, he found his hopes were dashed by the Village Elders. After all, they said - "You still have many horses, and can easily buy another wife - it is not good to lose several warriors in combat to save just one wife".
    However, they realized his personal honor was at stake, and understood that he must make the rescue attempt himself, regardless of the consequences.
    Now, he has followed them to the Wind River range of the Rockies. "Speaks Like Thunder" will now beach his canoe, and proceed to the other side of the first mountain. There, he will either be successful, and bring his bride back, or, when the Crow warriors return to their village, they will light camp fires in his honor. Then all night long, they will sing songs of the courage of this Lakota warrior who gave his life in the attempt to save his wife, and to uphold his honor as a warrior.
    As tribute to his courage, and devotion to his woman, "Eyes that Sparkle at Dawn" will be returned to his village unharmed, so that the Lakota people will know that the Crow nation lives with honor also.

All done with AR 2.5, several layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rescue Pledge.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	47534  
    Last edited by barnburner; 08-18-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

I really love a picture that tells a story,it immediately becomes much more interesting,your picture does that,the story adds to it,very nice .....Jack
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktar51 View Post
    I really love a picture that tells a story,it immediately becomes much more interesting,your picture does that,the story adds to it,very nice .....Jack
    Thank you very much Jack.
    Very much appreciated.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

Great story Barn and wonderful colorful nice painting.

Pretty slick! I like this one! Id forgotten about the Wind river range--used to drive through it every so often when I was living in Wyoming.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Very beautiful Barnburner, the colors are so wonderful and the story that goes with it

Oriane - Thanks - I really appreciate your kind comments.

Scott - Thank you. Yeah, the Wind River Range has
    a different look from the Rockies on the Front Range in Colorado, but I found them to be just as beautiful - just different.

Sandra - Thank you my friend. Much appreciated.

Pat - Many thanks. I'm so glad you liked it.
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery:

As you know Barn., the stories are so good to connect to what we see. This story reminds me of the little value of women in so many nations. Love the courage and honor this brave has to get his new wife back. And the picture compliments the story so perfectly. Well done with story and painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminek View Post
    As you know Barn., the stories are so good to connect to what we see. This story reminds me of the little value of women in so many nations. Love the courage and honor this brave has to get his new wife back. And the picture compliments the story so perfectly. Well done with story and painting.
    Jasmine - thank you very much. Tell you the truth, I hesitated about putting that line in about the relative value of several warrior lives versus one woman's life.
    Still, to the best of my knowledge, it was an honest assessment of the way it was considered at the time.
    Certainly, the feeding and safety of the tribe was an issue, but there is no doubt that the treatment of the women in most tribes left a lot to be desired.
    In some tribes, if the husband died, and no male member of her family was willing to take her in, she was left to survive as long as she could on her own.
    A brutal alternative for sure. However, as I look around me as I walk thru the nursing home to visit my mother, and see all these people just existing, for no other reason than to provide an income for the Nursing facilities, Doctors, Pharmacies,etc.. I'm not so sure that we are not more unkind to our elderly and helpless than the those Native Americans of that time.
    Whoops - I'll get off my soapbox...
    Thanks again Jasmine!
    My Gallery:

Deviant Art Gallery: