ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving the canvas while using transform tool

moving the canvas while using transform tool

Hello,

Is there something wrong with me or is it a bug in AR - I can not move the canvas while I use the transform or selection tools. Usually, when I draw, I have to move my canvas fairly often (I work with large resolutions), and it works OK, but not when selecting, moving or transforming. Pressing the shortcut that would move the canvas (in my case one of the buttons on my Wacom stylus or Space on the keyboard) stops whatever I was doing at the moment. The selection I was trying to draw disappears and so do the transform handles on the layer I was transforming...

So please, does anyone of you know a way to solve this problem? And if it's really a sort of shortcoming of AR, I can but wait for the Ambient folks to correct it, as it adds unwanted clunkiness and makes positioning elements on a large canvas more tedious than it should be...

Thanks for your attention,

Mikolaj

I remember someone asking about this before. I only really know of a couple good workarounds for it.

One is to complete the part of the selection you are a making, move the canvas over, then hold down "Shift" and begin adding onto the selection that way (you could also select the "Add" mode in the Settings panel first, but I find the shortcuts for add/subtract work better for this).

If not that, I'll create a new layer, then use the Pen Tool to outline the area I want and then fill the outline with the Fill tool to make it a solid shape. I then create a selection from the layer, which can be done by going to "Edit > Select Layer Contents" (I have this set up as a shortcut, so I just hit Ctrl + Shift + L to do it).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane, thanks a lot for your answer - this workaround (moving and then adding a new part to the selection) is how I remedy to this situation as well... I didn't mention it because I consider it a "hack" of sorts - there should be a simpler, more intuitive way to do it. Plus while this a sort of remedy to the problems with making a selection on an image of which we can see only a portion at a time, it does not solve the problem when you want to move and transform such an image... One should be able to move / resize the canvas when transforming the contents of a layer without accepting the transformation. This is how transforming works in, say, Photoshop and it makes composing your images much easier... Given the fact that AR on my mac waits some two-three seconds to apply each transformation, this is quite irritating...

Mikolaj

The Canvas Positioner can be used to move and zoom the canvas while an area is within the Transformation box. So after you've selected your area, copied it and pasted it, you can use the Positioner to move the canvas while the pasted area is still actively selected in the transformation box.

I don't know if I'm explaining it very well here, so I made this video to demonstrate it. You'll see the canvas Positioner towards the end. Be sure to watch in 480p for the best video clarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lRxmGGyHs

If you have the right-click on your stylus (pen), pressing the button while moving the stylus will move the canvas as you work with a selection or the transform tool active.

Note: if you keep the stylus still while right-clicking it will hide all the palettes so make sure you click and move the pen at the same time
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    If you have the right-click on your stylus (pen), pressing the button while moving the stylus will move the canvas as you work with a selection or the transform tool active.

It doesn't do that for me. On my system, it completes the selection or ends the transformation. I can't locate any settings to change it (in the ArtRage environment anyhow). Did you change the operation of your right click from your tablets properties somehow?

Hover the stylus over the tablet without actually touching the tablet and it works...

Probably wasn't specific enough in my instruction... sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Hover the stylus over the tablet without actually touching the tablet and it works...
    I'm afraid the results are the same as before. Right clicking, by itself, causes the transformation box to be accepted and any selection lines that were started, to vanish. Only the selections that were completed (so it's a dotted line selection) will remain when hitting my right mouse/pen button, which is why I can perform the workaround I posted.

If you use the right-click of your mouse the functionality is there.
    It appears to be a tablet issue, works on my intuos but doesn't work on the cheap pen and touch here. I've always used this quick method ... both on XP and now on Win 7 so i doubt its an OS issue.
    Last edited by Juz; 08-17-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Either you're lucky or I'm unlucky, because it didn't work for me on my XP system and it hasn't worked for me on my Vista one, regardless of my using a tablet pen or a mouse (which, just for the sake of being sure, I tried again just now).