ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Printing to an Exact Size

Printing to an Exact Size

I have a problem with printing a image to an exact size, which I need for the paper cut-out puppets I am creating. I have set my canvas up to be Print Size with the dimensions of A4 paper (210mm x 297mm).

I have painted my image to be exactly 100mm tall, measured using the rulers, but when I print it out the image comes out at about 80mm.

I could make my image oversize, but is there another solution to the problem? Could it be with the way the printer prints?

Cheers,
    Shanty

My first guess is that your printer will most likely not be capable of printing full 210mm x 297mm A4. Home printers tend to have a 'printable area' which is somewhat less than the paper size ( so that the printer's rollers can grip the end of the paper while printing for example ).

So, when the data is sent to the printer, the printer may be scaling it down to fit within its printable area. A quick experiment you could do would be to resize the canvas of your current document via Edit -> Resize the Canvas, say for example to 140mm x 140mm, then print that.

If that works, that's probably what's causing the problem. Printable area varies between manufacturers and printer types, but you should be within in with about a 2cm top and bottom margin, and a 1 cm left and right margin. You should be able to look up the printable area of your printer on the manufacturer's website.

I hope that helps, but if not, let me know.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave,
    Thanks for that. Yes, your suggestion does work, the 140mm X 140 mm prints out at the correct size.

Cheers,
    Shanty