ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed dear friends

Advice needed dear friends

ok so i havent been around much for a long time a lot going on family wise but im here now to ask advice- it seems likely i may have been misdiagnosed as depressed in the past when infact i may have bipolar disorder...

and im wondering if anyone here knows much about that from experience in onesself or a loved one they would care to share about what managing that looked like and how they felt it was to live with....

cheers
    Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

I don't have a lot of experience with this disorder and I am not part of the medical world professionally, but I knew a young lady who was diagnosed as such. She always seemed very chaotic to me, little things could set her spiraling in one direction or the other. She was given some type of medications to keep things under control, but there was always the emotions changing from minute to minute and even days at a time between the highs and lows. Those lows and highs sometimes were very intense before medications. The medications just seemed to make them less severe. She now seems to have much of this under control and is a happy new mom.

It will be difficult, until things are under control. With the help and patience of your medical doctor, friends and family (and even prayer if you're religiously incline) , you can get through.

thanks magen: )

yes at the moment i feel really well...a bit too well if you know what i mean as funny as that sounds so im seeking assessment on tues and will go from there
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

I hope it goes well for you. These kinds of things are not very easy to deal with, but they are controllable and with time you can learn how to get around them.

My favorite quote in a movie and by Bruce Lee. it's a Chinese proverb, I think. It refers to martial arts, but I have found I can apply it to my situations that arise. I find a lot of peace in these words, I hope they help you as well.. ( I usually change the "him" to a "her" for obvious reasons... )

"..Strength is like water. Nothing is softer than water. Yet it can overcome rock. It does not fight. It flows around the opponent. Formless, nameless...the true master dwells within. Only you can free him."

You can master this, I wish you much luck and I will keep you in my thoughts.
    Last edited by MJSparks; 08-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Dear Friend Selby, you are on the right track already!!! really have no knowlede of such, just personal thoughts, if this is after-baby blues it is a good thing to find out, 40 years ago i had it, thought i was loosing my mind, wasn't talked about then, oh what a time it was,,, now everybody knows about the baby-blues and help for it,,, also know of a bi-polar friend, also finding out what it was , was the biginning of getting well, the meds really help, best thing all around it talking to the right professionals, ,,BE WELL!!! xox

Hi Selby, I'm with Lee on this one.

My daughter had a terrible time with PND, try and get more than one Doc to make an assessment.

On the other hand, elation, in your situation, may be caused by simple things like a whole night's sleep and a crisis free day.

Whatever's causing the swings, there are a lot of people r...... for you!
    [I just remembered where you live and changed that phrase. ]

Fill in a local word of your choice, 'cheering' is probably OK.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Selby, this is a complex matter. I'm with Phil ... The diagnosis is not so simple to be done. But the clinical management and drug therapy is quite effective. It is necessary that you follow medical advice because there are many possibilities to use different medicines. Regards dear friend.

thanks friends : )

as you say diagnosis is not easy but i guess i was interested in any insight to what it felt like living with well managed bipolar if that indeed turns out to be whats going on with me
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Hi Selby

Not sure if you can get hold of this downunder but it shows how some very famous, successful people can get on with life despite being bipolar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Frys.../dp/B002XT38GO

Not sure if it helps knowing you are not alone but Stephen Fry is really brought the subject to the fore over here, and it looks much more common than you might think.

Dear Selby, reading your post again, just another thought for you if you don't mind, i can't remember what commedien it was many years ago, maybe Richard Pryor? one of them used to sing, ,,,"When your down and out, lift up your head and shout,,, "HEY I'M DOWN AND OUT"!!!!, don't hold it in, share your down days with a broad shoulder ,,,, xox