Thread: Brush Right, Flossing Unnecessary

Gallery
    View images

Brush Right, Flossing Unnecessary

Hello Rages,

Would like to recommend something where the paint strokes can be varied. Perhaps a programmable keyboard set of shortcuts where when the paintbrush is employed you could:

Press 1 = you get a drybrush beginning to your stroke, not only at the end (as if starting light pressure, pushing harder, then stopping the stroke OR getting light again.)

Press 2 = you get a stroke like the chisel brush is being twisted - thick & thin. Would be relly cool if this could happen if doing a drybrush stroke.

Press 3 = a brush like for ink like in Japanese caligraphy, where you can control the amount of wild side bristles and where the paint gets streaky in parts and runs out on parts of the brush stroke into something like streaks. (Not too dissimilar from what it can do now, save for the degree of streakyness)

Press 4 = a scumbling bristle stroke where you're grinding the paint for non-computer like scrapes, thin and thick spots, where it gets rattier looking rather than just smoothing out furrows.

Press 5 or 6 = a spatter technique that can be adjusted for the kind of spatter - very angled direction (somewhat oblong skipping) like from rapping the loaded brush smartly against the side of the drawing board for a mad grunge look (see Ralph Steadman), or conversely misting light dots somewht evenly like for stars.

Press 7 = rag smearing/reductive.

Press 8 = rag smearing/additive patting paint on with something that looks like a rag made mark (that could be adjusted to be smoother).

Press 9 = Badger brush for blending (looks like an old shaving brush).

Press 0 = a fan-like blending brush that is often used for fur or grass on oils.

Etc.

And you could swap back and forth on the fly as you would for a real brush painting.

Just basically ways to make controlled and/or less controlled looking, emotional, expressive, non-repetative marks.

Thanks. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    Whoa. That'd be so cool. An enthusiastic +1.

Gallery
    View images
    I like the idea of this kind of control very much. My preference would be to have a robust options section that would allow users to configure any of that kind of functionality to any keys or key combinations. That would rock! Especially when I get my Logitech NuLOOQ http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...categoryid=554
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Yep, this would be *amazing* with a NuLOOQ.

Fashmir, has your avatar always done that tick-tock thing with its eyes? It's freaky. And somehow suits your avatar-look perfectly. =]

Gallery
    View images
    I would prefer this method over a messy menu system as some of the other "paint" programs have. An option to use simple menus with keyboard shortcuts or a advanced menu. I like the simple menus and the keyboard shortcuts would extend the tools.

Gallery
    View images
    Heh, nope I added the eye movements a month or two ago.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir
    Heh, nope I added the eye movements a month or two ago.
    Thanks for the cool idea. I noticed, but it's subtle.

Amazing how small the avatars have to be. How on earth does anyone get anything looking as decent as it does. Yours is clever.