ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I've got a gripe..

I've got a gripe..

thats been bugging me for a week or so. I have been wanting to join a local art group for a few years, I contacted them again the other week and got told that to join I would have to show my work in-front of a board and there would be a fee of £10 a year. The secretary was really up her own wotzit with me and repremanded me for not paying when I hadn't even joined, spoke to me like a grade four art pupil!

Anyway the point I want to make about this is... art is for EVERYBODY of all abilities, its not for the toffee nosed elite. If I'd have wanted my art to be critiqued I would have gone to the National Gallery not the local wishy washy society...bah...I can make it on my own thanks...and goodbye...shreds unwanted application immediately.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

The most important is that you believe in what you are doing.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

I had the same thing happen to me about 18 years ago in Everett, Washington. Very snooty and god forbid I didn't do contemporary art. So I think I said something like OK fine and who needs you (cleaned that up for the kids on the list).

Then I moved to an area that really promotes art via it's art guild - that is, anybody's except mine (LOL) They didn't know what to do with a digital artist. I had to get in their face and get them to agree to a new category in their next art show.

I'm too old and too cranky to let them get away with not accepting digital art.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Jules, I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. It's a really unfortunate story. It seems to me that they could have at least looked at your artwork, but sometimes these guilds have a set of bylaws that they have to follow and it looks like you might have run afoul of something like that (and also of someone with a bad attitude who didn't represent their guild well)...

Regarding digital artwork, I haven't been able to figure out why I haven't seen much of ANYthing that is published or touted as art that is really digital art, outside of Manga and cartoons and Photoshop creations. In the art galleries (and of course museums) I see gieclees (sp?) and original watercolor, oil and acrylics, but nothing that was created originally as digital. Same thing for art magazines. As far as I can see, digital is just another tool, like a paintbrush; the art itself comes from inside a creative person.
    Last edited by marcialsj; 08-11-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Dear Jules, sure hope you don't back down, find out what it is all about, might be worth the 10 bucks, the truth sets you free, they could be a bunch of silly gooses or not,, as Judith said, maybe they are afraid of you!!!,,, let us know!!!

While I don't know much about joining an art society, I do agree with your statement that "art is for everyone of all abilities". I am not an artist, yet I believe I have the right to try, submit a piece for all to see and get a positive/constructive comment or no comment if an individual doesn't like it or it's not to their particular taste.
    LogicsHere (Betty)
    http://bettylogic.50webs.com (Welcome to Betty's Place)
    http://logicmgmt.com/1876/splash.htm (1876 Victorian England Revisited)

yeah your riight Betty but watch for old joker's

good on u Jules we don't want art to b taken over by snob societies its got to b there for everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    thats been bugging me for a week or so. I have been wanting to join a local art group for a few years, I contacted them again the other week and got told that to join I would have to show my work in-front of a board and there would be a fee of £10 a year. The secretary was really up her own wotzit with me and repremanded me for not paying when I hadn't even joined, spoke to me like a grade four art pupil!

Anyway the point I want to make about this is... art is for EVERYBODY of all abilities, its not for the toffee nosed elite. If I'd have wanted my art to be critiqued I would have gone to the National Gallery not the local wishy washy society...bah...I can make it on my own thanks...and goodbye...shreds unwanted application immediately.
    Good for you.
    The "Elites" with their nose stuck in the air, are a pet peeve of mine.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Sounds like a scam to me Jules....cha ching!
    They are all above board Alex, the have a theatre group too, but I was told that if want to be part of the arts group I would have to recieve all the theatre gumph that goes with it, what a waste of flipping trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dany51 View Post
    The most important is that you believe in what you are doing.
    Yeh I do, I have a strong character even though that stupid women caught me off guard that day...oohh I would loved to have let rip, but my polite side took over lol

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me about 18 years ago in Everett, Washington. Very snooty and god forbid I didn't do contemporary art. So I think I said something like OK fine and who needs you (cleaned that up for the kids on the list).

Then I moved to an area that really promotes art via it's art guild - that is, anybody's except mine (LOL) They didn't know what to do with a digital artist. I had to get in their face and get them to agree to a new category in their next art show.

I'm too old and too cranky to let them get away with not accepting digital art.
    Did you hun, sorry to hear that, oh so you had to fit into that genre humph...I can understand if its a photography group, art is art whatever the genre. I think it's early days with digital art, she didnt even know what sort of artist I was! She didnt even ask!

Quote Originally Posted by marcialsj View Post
    Jules, I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. It's a really unfortunate story. It seems to me that they could have at least looked at your artwork, but sometimes these guilds have a set of bylaws that they have to follow and it looks like you might have run afoul of something like that (and also of someone with a bad attitude who didn't represent their guild well)...

Regarding digital artwork, I haven't been able to figure out why I haven't seen much of ANYthing that is published or touted as art that is really digital art, outside of Manga and cartoons and Photoshop creations. In the art galleries (and of course museums) I see gieclees (sp?) and original watercolor, oil and acrylics, but nothing that was created originally as digital. Same thing for art magazines. As far as I can see, digital is just another tool, like a paintbrush; the art itself comes from inside a creative person.
    I did send a link from my blog that has my art on it, so they had some idea of my abilities. I think I have seen some digital art exhibits at the AOI (association of illustrators) gallery exhibition. I think generally digital is use more in illustration that art for trade ie. wall hung work. Although it will come soon I recon....its like mp3 vs vinyl as an analogy....im waffling lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dear Jules, sure hope you don't back down, find out what it is all about, might be worth the 10 bucks, the truth sets you free, they could be a bunch of silly gooses or not,, as Judith said, maybe they are afraid of you!!!,,, let us know!!!
    Nope Lee, ive dug my heels in with this one, no going back ive heard enough of them. Maybe they are afraid, like I said above I posted a link to my work on the net. I wont count on any more news on this one hun haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicsHere View Post
    While I don't know much about joining an art society, I do agree with your statement that "art is for everyone of all abilities". I am not an artist, yet I believe I have the right to try, submit a piece for all to see and get a positive/constructive comment or no comment if an individual doesn't like it or it's not to their particular taste.
    Well I don't know about art society's I thought they would be a friendly bunch where you can meet new people with the same interests, not a clique of snobs. Yes, you seem to be interested in art or you wouldnt be here so at some point you may produce something, art is for the beginner too, I would hate so see someone critique someone just starting out...telling them how crap they are thats not the way to go. I know I have some ability, for some snoot to tell me my work is rubbish would upset me as much as the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    yeah your riight Betty but watch for old joker's

good on u Jules we don't want art to b taken over by snob societies its got to b there for everybody
    thanks eighty+ no we don't, the younger generation won't stand for the old boy network!!

Quote Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
    Good for you.
    The "Elites" with their nose stuck in the air, are a pet peeve of mine.
    Well, never thought of it before but its a pet peeve of mine now!
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/